Linksys RE4000-RM N600 Range Extender 2 pack

Yup, I’m having similar issues. I got mine Saturday and spent yesterday figuring out how to set them up.

The hard-copy instructions that came with them were pretty vague. However, the documentation included on the installation disk provided more clarity.

Like you, I’ve run into the similar issues. I was able to set up the first one, but am having trouble finding it on the list of available networks. I’m fairly certain it is the “Hidden Network” that is listed, as the signal strength for it is at full strength.

Yet,

However, I ran across this in the support section for this product on the Linksys site:

So I’m a little confused.

On top of the other issues I had with the first extender, it couldn’t find my 5G band that my router transmits. And the extender was only 10 feet or so from the router while I was running the initial setup.

I’ve also ran into the same issue that BeachNative ran into with his second extender, in that after I installed the first, I cannot get the second unit to setup. In fact, my network can’t even find the second unit, no matter where I place it in conjunction to my router.

I’m a tad frustrated with these. I’ve had experience with repeaters / extenders, and the one I really liked was what Verizon uses (surprisingly enough!) to extend their WiFi for folks who are FiOS customers.

That was so simple, all I did was plug it in, find the WiFi network it needed to connect to. Log into that network, and then it just connected, configured itself, and bam. Up and running.

So maybe I’m making a mountain out of a mole hill on these, but right now, my frustration with them is higher then what they were worth.

If I can tinker around with them and get both of them to work, then I’ll be happy for the most part. I’ll just have to wait and see.

To help clarify these issues, this statement is technically incorrect. The intent of these devices is to “extend” the range of existing wi-fi networks. It should just make the existing SSID visible over a larger distance.

Again, one of these worked fine for me although it runs unacceptably hot. Waiting now to see what options Woot provides for correction…