Linksys Tri-band Whole Home Wi-Fi System

Linksys Tri-band Whole Home Wi-Fi System

I’m really tempted to try these but I’m just afraid they won’t work. We have uneven reception throughout our small 1100 sqft home I assume from wall density and bits of old plaster walls, duct work, etc. I tried a repeater and it didn’t really help, so how are these better?

I don’t have these but from a previous house, I know it’s a matter of placement. If you’ve got thick walls, see if you can position for the repeating to happen through open spaces.

I went through the same reluctance 3 years ago. I live in the sticks, in a house that was built in 1920. My house is narrow, but long. Being rural I can only get 6meg internet.

I bought probably 4 different repeaters trying to get decent internet signal to the living room at one end of the house. Streaming tv was impossible, except late at night.

I finally broke down and spent the money on these and I wished I’d done it sooner. I’ve have zero issue with signal from one end of house to the other. I have one sitting next to my computer in the middle of the house where the internet feeds in and one sitting in my TV stand. They have worked flawlessly for 3 yrs now.

I just built a shop that sits beyond the living room distance wise from the feed and I’m buying this set to put another one out there.

I’m not exactly sure what makes them better, but I can attest to the fact they are. It’s my understanding that unlike the repeaters that just push the signal, these are actually made to “talk” to each other for lack of a better explanation.

1 Like

Is the shop outside the main residence and its wall? My experience with an Orbi was that the signal was too weak once outside the brick wall. I gathered these are better than the cheaper extenders that function at 30mbs and have the advantage of being the same router name and password. But my luck was poor in trying to serve streaming outside the brick and block wall.

Not to be negative but my VELOP worked fine until I moved them to an apartment (which is odd because it’s much smaller) at which point no matter what I do I can’t get the red lights to go off permanently. They always come back on even if I factory reset and set it back up which I have done several times. What’s so frustrating is that there are a number of people that get this issue but a number that do not and Cisco/Linksys is helpless AF to figure it out for a year or more for some poor folks.

Mine are white though so maybe the black ones are a slightly different revision.

It’s crazy to me and odder still is it still works while they are red most of the time (it can get sketch slow at points which it never did at the house either) but it really messes with the management app to the point it’s like hit or miss if it will find them.

Also I carried these over in my car by hand personally so it’s not damage…and I am having to rely on wireless bridging because of no hardwire.

PS
Oh I have three of them not two.

Have you tried using just 2 of the 3? In a small space the signals will all be strong and overlapping and they may not be playing nice.

Yeah the shop is about 15 feet diagonally from the outside corner of the living room. I pondered that but was hoping that since I can get a slight signal from the one in the living room that maybe it that would help. We’ll see. I’ll run a cat cable if not

I have the same model that I purchased during Black Friday sale of 2018.

Works great, I have a very large area to cover; this does a great job covering it. I replaced a Verizon router with this one. Could not be more happier. Install or setup was a breeze, they have thought this through.

After I set it up 2 years ago. Have not had a need to go back and tinker with anything so far. It just works.

Caveat:
I have not tried any other new generation WIFI systemes other than this.
I live in a relatively new large home, your mileage may vary based on wall density etc.

A repeater is half the solution, and will usually do the trick - but if that fails, try connecting the router with the repeater by ethernet cable. You can send it through pretty small holes in the walls, or string it along the ceiling, or (my preference) tap some finishing nails partway into the tops of baseboards, pointed up, and lay the cable along them.

Ethernet can go something like 300’ without a boost, and is much much much less susceptible to noise… and obviously unaffected by whatever your walls are made of.

You can get a loooong ethernet cable with plugs already on both ends for a few bucks.

I will try that…maybe it’s just flooding the spectrum