Linksys Velop Mesh WiFi System

Linksys Velop Mesh WiFi System

Hey!

I bought the dual band version when these went for sale last time and have been using them for 3 or so weeks, a few things that I’ve experienced that may not be obvious:

-If you have an existing network and want this to extend that network, it is not obvious how to do that.
With that said: THESE ARE NOT EXTENDERS
These will basically replace your wifi network, so if you have a internet connection and a modem (but no wifi router) these are IDEAL.
-If you have a wifi network in place and don’t have any issues in replacing it, these are ideal.
-BUT
If you have a wifi network and you just want to make it more widely accessible, you are in the wrong place!
(I mention these things because I thought to use these as extenders and it’s just not obvious that doing so is even an option)

So, pros and cons (3 pack, dual band):

Pros:
-small and barely noticable
-very easy to set up
-works great
-depending on wifi network traffic, I’m as far away as I can be from the first node (connected to the modem) in a big two story house and the speed never dips below 30 mb/s down (5 or 6 mb/s up) and that’s with 4 people running a variety of games and streaming services at the same time, so these things can handle at least that much! The priority management is pretty great.*
-the parent node has to be connected via ethernet to the modem, but the others just need a power outlet, and connect via wifi otherwise, which is brilliant.

Cons:
-not much lol
-you do need to have a phone or tablet with the linksys app to use the system but the app is pretty smooth and intuitive.
-LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION
-like really, when it says not to put them more than two rooms apart, that’s the truth, we have the 3 no more than 20 feet apart from eachother and up and out in the open, as this allows for the best signal.
-IF YOU MOVE THE THING AFTER PUTTING IT ON A POWER OUTLET, YOU MUST RELOCATE THE NODES IN THE APP
IF
YOU
MOVE
THEM
-this was not obvious and was a bit of a pain in the ass for our upstairs node. Alas, follow the instructions in the app and it will get you there BE PATIENT.

*(comcast says our house has a 125 mb/s down speed from the wall but that’s a lie, even a laptop connected via ethernet alone directly to our one and only internet connection outlet, a nighthawk x4 modem/router (more than capable for 125 mb/s down speed) we would only see 80 to 90 mb/s down. That said, I get 80 to 90 down off the linksys routers pretty much anywhere in the house if the network traffic is low)

Otherwise, great deal for a pretty awesome device!
Thanks woot!

1 Like

Thank you. I thought that these were WiFi extenders. I have crap reception on the other side of my house and I almost bought these to solve my problem.

It will solve your problem. But you will get a new wifi name. It’ll make a wifi mesh so wherever you are you will use the same network and password.

Is the dual/tri-band combo this one? https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Intelligent-System-3-Pack-Maximize/dp/B07DZ3SR9C/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=velop+dual+tri+band+combo&qid=1588721708&sr=8-2

Or this one? https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Velop-System-Bundle-Tri-Band/dp/B07HRK24W5/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=velop+dual+tri+band+combo&qid=1588721797&sr=8-3

You have pictures of both!

1 Like

So there is nobody around to answer this question?

I’m so sorry. I forgot to post that they removed the wrong photo.

It’s this one:

Ok thanks!