Linksys Wireless-G 4 Port Broadband Router with SpeedBooster

This is a great router for grandparents and people who don’t need to throw their N around. On the other hand, this is also fully compatible with DD-WRt, so you can also go nuts if you choose.

Pretty cheap for a router you can turn into a repeater and all kinds of other options. DD-WRT = Yes!

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRTL54G2_v1.3_%26_WRT54GS2_v1.0

This looks like a great deal even for a refurb. Seems perfect for adding additional access points to your home to extend range of your wireless network

Apparently it will work with DD-WRT but it is very finicky and has little RAM. With the small amount of RAM it doesn’t have the full DD-WRT feature set.

DD-WRT forums

According to their database, yes. Lazy! :stuck_out_tongue:

Two generations obsolete.

If you vacuum or microwave in the other room it will mess up this connnection

IT IS DD WRT COMPATIBLE
http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

Reviews on buzzillions

I owned this router and it works great.

I’m not sure about how well this works for advanced users.

For basic users who just need Wi-Fi with some basic security - I think this is great, and it’s at half the price I bought it for last year.

I would buy it again… if it were Wireless N.

I realize this is a stupid question, but my boss beating me over the head with his stupidity all day has dulled what I like to call “my wit”:

I need a modem too, which I must connect to this router, correct?

I have the same one I bought from Best Buy for around $50, If I remember right, about a year ago. So This is a steal. It works well except when someone is playing a game on their laptop at the same time playing on xbox live. It does slow down at times and can kick me of xboxlive. But for the overall performance, I can’t really complain. The fact that it an reach throughout the house for wifi and can service multiple things simultaneously, it’s WAY worth the $17.

Not N, not 300mbps, not buying

I got the SMCWGBR14-N R off newegg a couple months back and it has worked flawlessly. Best tech purchase I’ve ever made.

Just sayin

I tried, but it did not work. I purchased a Bullalo brand with it already installed.

Yes, see the page here: Shabamazow! DD-WRT Wiki Entry

Yeah I dunno about all the geek speak but I have had this router for awhile and never had an issue. Set up the security stuff myself so it isn’t that hard. LOL

Here’s comparisons at cnet:

Have had good luck with Linksys - thinking about this as a backup for when our current one dies (don’t know why we seem to go through these router things every couple of years — it’s not like there’s moving parts in there to wear out, right!!!)

This is an excellent price. I only use Linksys routers as I’ve found them the least finicky out of the consumer models. I’ve had the same router for about 5 years now and I’ve barely touched it since I last set it up.

Also, for those who want more features, there are several 3rd party firmwares that add tons of features. The most popular of these is dd-wrt. The features that you can add with it is listed here.

On DD-WRT:

It may or may not be supported. Version 1 and 1.3 ARE supported, though you won’t be able to revert to the old firmware due to Linksys putting security checks on the firmware. Not that I would ever want to revert to the included firmware myself.

Source: Linksys WRT54G2 v1.3 & WRT54GS2 v1.0 - DD-WRT Wiki

Version 1.5 is NOT supported and won’t be in the foreseeable future.

Version 1.5 uses an Atheros chipset, and only has a 2MB flash rom, but the Atheros build of dd-wrt, mini or otherwise, requires at least a 2MB rom.

Source: DD-WRT :: View topic - WRT54G2 v1.5

It is unclear if this router is DD-WRT-able unless we can get the version or the FCC ID.

Look at the picture of the back. There are FIVE ports! Whip-Crack!