Lodge Cookware: Iron Pan 3

The Woot Plus items are rarely exceptional deals.

Woot has strayed from the original concept. From “one item each day” they gone to dozens of items, some for several days.

Dutch Oven. Hee.

I would heat the pan up with the grill, good call. My grill has cast iron grates and they do fine even when it start it off on high, so I’d imagine the pan would be fine as well. Cracking a pan with thermal shock is about the only way to permanently ruin cast iron short of melting it.

On a related note, if you can get cast iron grates for your grill, HIGHLY recommended. Sears so much better than stainless it is ridiculous. Hard to keep them from rusting outside though, so plan on replacing periodically.

I believe my grates are actually porcelain. They keep do a very good job.

Now I just need to figure out this whole seasoning thing. One of the links posted above mentioned flaxseed oil as a great seasoning oil. Might try that since my wife bought two bottles of it that she barely touched when she was on some weird health kick.

I thought Lodge cast-iron was being sold “pre-seasoned” now.

Further. I have one old lodge cast-iron skillet that’s never done me wrong and a couple enameled cast iron pieces. I’m about to move into a place with a ceramic cooktop(kill me now). I’ve heard everything from “never use cast-iron on ceramic/glass cooktops” to “f*ck it, it’ll be fine” and everything inbetween.
Has anyone here had any experiences they’d like to share using enameled or non-enameled cast iron on a ceramic/glass cooktop?

My 12in lodge cast iron skillet lives on my glass cooktop (4 years with this range). I’ve had no issues. I also frequently use a 5qt enameled cast iron dutch oven on it. I think the manufacturers say ‘no cast iron’ so that people don’t drop a 15 pound iron dutch oven through their glass cooktop and expect warranty to cover it.

Don’t drop your cast iron, and I would probably try not to drag it around too much, but if my cooktop can take the weight of a full 20 quart steel stockpot, I don’t worry about my cast iron damaging it.

I dont get it. Amazon owns Woot so you think you would get a better deal than Amazon.com actually has since this is a specialized (smaller) selling site. I mean, everyone should know Amazon.com is the price point of online purchases. So to find it much cheaper there with Prime/Free shipping. Why would we buy here? C’mon Woot! A DEAL is what we are on here for.

Thanks guys! got more ways to season cast iron than i can shake a stick at! Or should I say skillet?!

J.Fe

As for the lodge stuff, i got a skillet for Christmas in 2011 and it came “pre-seasoned” but its always stuck to food, thus my initial question in this thread. So yes, seasoned, but not well.

Steve, I have 1 skillet that is 5 inches and perfect to fry 2 eggs in, I have 2 10 inch skillets that I use for everything. I haven’t measured the others but they are between 5 inches and 10 inches, I am thinking they are 7 inches? These skillets are so OLD and well used that the size can’t be seen.

Anyone out there that pops popcorn in their iron skillet? It tastes so much better just like the cornbread tastes better made in the iron skillet.

Linda

Linda, almost EVERYTHING tastes bettter, cooked in Cast Iron.

Try a pineapple upside-down cake in a Lodge pan. Try it on the grill. Use charcoal, not propane. Put in a TINY amount of smoke wood, or use chunk charcoal. Make sure you can keep your temps 325 to 345, though.

steve

I’m thinking corn-cakes!!! Yum.

Ah, that actually makes sense.
Thanks.

Love cast iron, but not these prices. The dutch oven is available on Amazon here for less money, and with a Prime membership (which I have) free shipping… http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Logic-5-Quart-Pre-Seasoned-Dutch/dp/B00006JSUF/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1348690191&sr=8-6&keywords=Lodge+Logic+5+Quart+Dutch+Oven

I realize these are not going to be priced as well as the normal one day woot deals, but they should at least have the same or lower prices than Amazon, wouldn’t you think?

walmart also offers this cheaper.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/12554408?adid=22222222227000182219&wmlspartner=wlpa&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=13686499870&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem

Check out Alton Brown on this. Point of fact, that statement is true for an extraordinary variety of culinary questions.

I use coconut oil and never use vegetable oil. Coconut oil takes a couple of years to go rancid. I’ll cook with olive oil sometimes but still wipe out with the coconut oil.

I pop corn in the dutch oven and it works great. Normally just butter/salt, but you can also make legitimate kettle corn in there too with a bit of sugar. It takes a little experimentation but it is pretty hard to really screw up.

BTW Logde has a fantastic factory store. :wink:

Do you mean online or brick an mortar?

You’ve never really seen some of us in the kitchen here. :slight_smile: But seriously, thanks for the tip! Sounds delicious!