Logitech Harmony Smart Control with Phone App

You’re correct!! There’s ALOT of bad info on this thread which is why I jumped in and commented.

Don’t know how else to say this… Google the model number and search for it on Amazon. It contains the hub. I also have 2 of these sets already so I can verify that it comes with the hub.

Finally, Logitech does NOT sell the controller by itself since you need the hub in order to use it. They do sell the Hub by itself (or the used to) since the hub is designed to work with Harmony hub based remotes and mobile devices (smartphones, tablets, etc.)

Using their device compatibility website, yes.

As long as the box is IR (which more than likely is, you’re good to go.

Charlie - great research, but anytime you make assumptions with a woot item, you are taking a risk. This should be easy for woot to answer directly. As others have pointed out, the hub is not listed on the page and not included in the pictures.
Just because no one else sells the remote without the hub, doesn’t mean woot won’t.

Definitely want confirmation if this includes the hub, if it does I’m in.

Thinking about how an app would work for this if there ISN’T a hub though.

ANSWER TO QUESTIONS

Yes, this comes with the Harmony Hub.

Like I said, Google search turned up “maybe”. The Entone Amulet comes up as compatible, but the Entone Aria is not listed (which I think is what my parents have). Was checking to see if anyone had PERSONALLY used one of these with an Entone box, not checking to see if anyone was my equal in Google Fu mastery.

Meh… in for one anyway. Even if it doesn’t work for their cable box, I can use it to control my devices, instead.

Thanks for the acknowledgement but this is not an assumption since I OWN 2 of these sets already. All I did was look at the OEM packaging of my 2 to verify, then as a backup searched Google and Amazon.

Also, Logitech never packaged the controller for retail sale by itself so it’s impossible for it to be on sale by itself.

Hey… just trying to help since no one else replied. If I had to on history (owned Harmony products for roughly 10 years now), if it’s not in the Harmony database, you can call Logitech to have it added. Really is as simple as that.

These ARE assumptions because this is woot!.

If you people want some first hand knowledge dropped on yourselves, here you go.

I have been using harmony remotes for about 15 years. That goes back to before Logitech bought them. I have probably had four or five. They would wear out and I would have to buy a replacement. I always like their functionality, but not so much their durability. I absolutely love this Smart Control. The remote has all of the buttons that I need for 99% of what I do with it and 100% of what the rest of my family needs it for. If I can’t do it, I just open the Harmony app on my iPhone and every single button from all of the remotes that I never need any longer are at my fingertips. The remote is also very durable. No screen to chew through batteries or break when the remote is inevitably dropped.

For those with questions about the hub. Woot has confirmed that this woot comes with the hub. I’m not sure if it comes with an extra blaster. The hub has a built in blaster so if you can position it where it will be in line of sight with all of your IR devices, you’ll be fine. My setup has our TV on the south wall and a bookshelf full of electronics on the west wall. Not the greatest setup for one blaster. With just the hub at the top of the bookshelf (extending over the edge a bit) It communicates flawlessly with all of my devices except for my xbox. I use a wired blaster to reach that and everything just works.

I have two gripes. The first is that there is an arbitrary 8 device limit. The only reason for this limit is to make you buy a more expensive remote.

This is my setup

-TV
-Receiver
-DirecTv
-Apple TV
-Media PC
-Xbox 360
-Xbox One
-Wii U

I also have other gaming systems that I am unable to set up with this remote. I know there are work-arounds, but I would like it to just work

The second problem is that the hub loses connection with my router some times. It actually hasn’t happened in a while. Maybe it ironed itself out.

For those that wonder how activities work with this remote. There are three button at the top of the remote. Each can have an activity set up for a short press and a long press. So six activities with this minimalist remote. Every button on the remote can also be reassigned. I have long press of the ff button set to skip 30 secs and long press of the rw button for 15 seconds back. I also reassigned the blue button, which I never use, to skip back 15 secs.

I am thinking of buying a backup at this price.

The moderated confirmed that the remote comes with a hub. (4th post in the thread)

After some research, the remote is just a dumb device that sends signals to the hub. All the things you programmed (activities, devices, etc) are stored in the hub. So the remote is actually useless without the hub.

One really cool thing is the battery. It uses CR2032 battery, which can be purchases from Amazon at 5 for $2. Logitech says it will last 1 year per battery, which is great. And no more worry about putting it in charger after each use, which I had to do with Harmony One. Low power consumption is most likely due to it is just a dumb RF signal transmitter. No processing needed on the remote itself.

I do have some concern with the limited buttons on the physical remote. I can’t seem to find info about how (if possible) to just select a specific device to control, rather than use the activity buttons at the top. Also, there does not seem to be any input select button either, if I just want to quickly switch inputs of my TV/receiver without using activity buttons, which will turn on/off a lot more things than I may want every time I press them.

Anyone who can provide answers is greatly appreciated.

AFAIK, there is no obvious way to do that without using the app. However, you could easily map one of the buttons to be an input selector (maybe one of the RED/YELLOW/GREEN/BLUE ones?) to do that, in each defined activity.

You will have to bust out your smart phone for that and select device control.

If you are in an activity and select another activity, the hub already knows what’s on or off and will switch without a problem. You could program one of the buttons as an input selector, but there aren’t that many extra buttons and I don’t find it necessary anyway.

How do you have it set up for your media pc? Do you need an IR receiver or can it send signals over wifi and bluetooth? What can you control on the PC with this?

I got a cheap IR remote and dongle to use mine with an HTPC, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Ortek-Windows-Infrared-Receiver-Ultimate/dp/B00224ZDFY.

I actually haven’t used the pc control very much. It does have bluetooth functionality. I actually use it for my laptop and It’s mostly for just setting up the input. I do almost all of my media watching on the xbox one.

Thanks!

In for one for this very reason.
I use Kodi as my HTPC front end and there is an add on to use this remote.
Setup guide here.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=220677

“The hub has a built in blaster so if you can position it where it will be in line of sight with all of your IR devices, you’ll be fine. My setup has our TV on the south wall and a bookshelf full of electronics on the west wall. Not the greatest setup for one blaster. With just the hub at the top of the bookshelf (extending over the edge a bit) It communicates flawlessly with all of my devices except for my xbox. I use a wired blaster to reach that and everything just works.”

So you can’t sit the hub on a shelf next to the devices? It has to be in front of them in order to “blast” them?

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but it controls Amazon Fire TV (and stick).

I have the keyboard for this setup which makes typing search queries into the AFTV a breeze compared to the onscreen non-QWERTY hunt and peck on the stock AFTV remote.

It will also work with Chromecast to pause/stop. A nice feature if you cast from a tablet. Then you don’t have to pick the phone up and swipe a few times just to pause a show.

My main gripe as with the other power user here, is that it only does 8 devices. This is likely to be enough for most setups, but I wanted hook it up to everything. I also don’t see why there is an arbitrary limit of 8 devices other than differentiation with the higher end model.