Logitech MK550 Wireless Keyboard & Mouse

This is a great deal. I owned the wired version of this keyboard so I cannot speak on it’s wireless performance, Although I have moved on to a mechanical keyboard, this design was my favorite one prior. Very durable and the curve makes it comfortable to use. The soft leather like covered hand rest is easy on the palms.

I have also owned the mouse that comes with it for over a few years and have nothing bad to say about it. Being wireless you of course won’t want to game with it where real time control matters(has a slight amount of latency that is common to wireless mice), but for all other PC uses, it gets the job done. The battery life is excellent and runs as long as claimed.

I had this combo for a couple years. Paid over twice as much. Ended up upgrading the keyboard to a fancy mechanical with backlit keys, but in hindsight, this keyboard was much more comfortable to type on. I wish more keyboards had this keyboard’s “wave” pattern. Your fingers hit the keys at a much better angle than a standard “flat” keyboard. The included wrist-wrest was also something I miss. The only thing I didn’t like about the keyboard is how huge it is. I never used all those extra media/app buttons, nor the 10-key. It’s what motivated me to give a TKL mechanical a try.

For Linux users, there’s no official software to get the unifying receiver working, but a 3rd party program called “Solaar” works okay. And the paring is saved on the receiver dongle itself, so if you were to pair the keyboard/mouse to the dongle in Windows first, it’ll work right away in a Linux OS.

I’ve had less luck with the Logitech mouse in Linux. There are tools in Linux like “xinput” that let you remap mouse buttons, like say you want the tilted scroll wheel to be back/forward in the browser instead of the two thumb buttons. But when you go into xinput to remap, you learn that Logitech isn’t sending standard button press messages from Button 3 on up. It instead sends a succession of three emulated key presses that open up Dash in Ubuntu. It could just be an Ubuntu thing though. I tried a Fedora Live USB once and the mouse messages were correct in xinput, but failed to get Fedora to install for other reasons.

tl;dr Great keyboard, really comfortable, just a bit big. For the mouse, you might not get to use middle-click and the two thumb buttons if you’re a Linux user.