Logitech Wireless Play Link

Does this work if my network is already wireless? The description says it’s for hooking into a wired network…I’m confused!

the specs say 100 feet, so i guess ymmv (your mileage may vary)

?

Just a thought…wouldn’t these hurt the speed of your internet connection? I mean, it just sounds like paying for more lag.

These are awesome. works as advertised.

Check the copy…yes it does.

Will this work (or is it even needed) with the Nintendo Wii? The Wii is coming out on Nov. 19th. Will I need these for when I buy it?

Says it does…

"Play Link works with nearly any Ethernet-enabled device, including:

* Xbox
* Xbox 360" (etc.)

They sell these for 90 bucks at best buy… BUT, I got a pair of these last time. They are only 1.5mbps which is so insane slow it’s a joke. You’d be better off getting an 802.11b wireless setup of some sort.

Seriously, these were pathetic. I tried transfering a file across my room only to get so sick of waiting I gave up. I don’t have a use for these at all with that speed.

I don’t reccommend these at all.

Maybe others have better uses.

Kinda, you plug one box into a device with an ethernet port and the other box into an available ethernet port on the back of your wireless router. It is for connecting something that doesn’t have the wireless capability already.

if you have a wired port on the back of your router, plug this in, and you are set.
this just uses some funky rf stuff instead of 802.11
so it’s already encrypted and paired, and so forth, so you don’t have to worry about -adding- it to your wireless, it exists beside it.

clear as mud?

Wii should already have wireless…lemme check and I’ll edit in a link.

Edit: http://wii.nintendo.com/hardware.html

Yeah, it has wireless.

FWIW:

These do not work directly on some mac powerbooks because they present a non-standard speed to the ethernet connection, which these macs seem not to want to recognize. If you connect them to a cheap switch first, and THEN to the powerbook, they work just fine (and you turn one port into a bunch while you’re at it).

Really a quick and easy way to get ethernet to the other side of the house… nice for a printer, etc.

Bill

1.5 megabit? am I reading that right?

Whilst I know that your typical console doesn’t require much in the way of bandwidth, seems to me that there could be a better speed capability of this. I mean, at least have it transfer at 802.11a/b/g

These work great for game consoles - I use them for my XBOX and XBOX 360. They also work for PC’s, but your speed will not be as fast as 802.11b. But it’s great for a new install PC and you need to download a driver or two without running cables or installing a wireless NIC. I’ve used them further than 30 feet, but not quite as far as 100.

Actually, you + cthos’s reply = perfect sense! Thanks to both of you!

First woot, im willing to give it a shot, im sick of my 30 foot ethernet running in the basement to my xbox, and its alot cheaper then the 360 wireless adapter, and most bridges out there.

Yes these things work great with a wireless router. I am running Macs and PC’s in the house, to connect the kids Macs (2) in their bedrooms to my wireless router all I had to do was:

1. Open the box
  2. Take out contents
  3. Walk over to kids Mac and attach device (be sure network settings match your router)
  4. Walk back to router and attach the other one
  5. Go back to computer and surf the web.

There is no configuring the devices, no configuring security, MAC access, etc., they are pre-paired. It’s just like hooking up hardwire but there is no wire to run between the two. Easy as pie, easiest piece of wireless network devices I’ve ever installed (basically plugged in)

Someone asked if this would work with a slingbox… with a tranfer rate of 1.5mbps, it will not even get close to working with your slingbox.

I have tried watching a movie on my laptop across my room from my desktop and it takes around 5 minutes just to even start, and then it just hangs forever and you end up with a framrate of about 1 frame per minute if lucky.

Don’t even bother with it and a slingbox.

I have one of these and use it for my Xbox 360. It works well for online game play. I play Tiger Woods golf against people all the time – it is not a good solution for downloading content on the 360 though…it takes hours to download a game demo with this. I have it hooked up to my LInksys wireless router.

If you don’t want to spend 80 bucks (or more) for the Xbox wireless attachment this is a good solution for online game play. Just don’t expect it to be lightning fast downloading the larger sized fiiles.

I’m using them on my Xbox Media Center, and they do work but they’re ridiculously slow.