Winery Website
Lucas & Lewellen on Facebook
Lucas & Lewellen on Twitter

Upcoming Wine.Woot gatherings (Courtesy of CJ):

Create or join one now!!

Not a bad price…

2006 Cab Franc $26
2006 Petite Sirah $28

Direct from their site… They don’t have their Malbec listed…

This looks fabulous. In for one, might have to make it two… or three…

One for now.
:slight_smile:

Not a fan of L&L in general, I almost hate CF as a varietal, and while I adore PS…I was very underwhelmed by the previous vintage offered here on woot.

For all those new to “Labrat” and/or “rattery” ……

Cheron98 has kindly put all information about the Labrat program at the beginning of the Labrat Thread (where she kindly and graciously cross-posts all the labrat posts into one convenient place).

She has the rules of “rattery” there. As well as a listing of the labrats and offers from June 2 of last year (2008).

Only the Monday offer will have labrats. Offers later in the week will not.

In essence, once you sign up for the labrat program, you are eligible to receive an additional bottle from the current offer (via FedEx overnight) if:

a) Sign up for the labrat program (See WineDavid’s Signature line).
b) You purchase the new Sunday/Monday offer before the deadline (usually 10 am CT, Monday).

There are no set guidelines other than doing your best to present your opinions about the labrat bottle in a timely manner (since there may be some people on the fence about the current offer, and are waiting for your opinions). You can be as creative (or not) as you want. Read thru some of the previous labrats to get an idea. There are a lot of humorous reports, as well as serious ones.

Some have used the UC Davis Wine Scoring System and others have used the Parker 100 point system. Others have just used “It’s Good!”. There is no right or wrong way to report.

For a quick overview of the majority of wine scoring systems, the DeLong Wine Ratings Review is available as a PDF.

DeLong Wine has been on Wine.Woot before with their Varietal Chart and Tasting Books, and sponsors The Century Club for those who have tasted over 100 different varietals (and we have several Wine.Wooters as members, with others on the verge). Check out Century Club thread in the World of Woot Wine for more info. And they’ve added a “Doppel Member” status for those who have tasted over 200 different varietals. They are supposed to have a new form (Word and Excel) in May to help with the 200.

Waiting on the rats on this one. Very tempting, so I’m all set with my legs on that side of the fence, but I want to know what I’m getting into before I hop off.

Any advice/notes/thoughts on the individual varietals for this self-proclaimed wine newbie?

Also, what do you think in terms of cellaring for these?

A rare one to please both me and Loweeel.

Alas, I think I’ll be passing on this one. The Havens deals have used up my budget for a while. Plus, the description of the CF puts it too far on the fruit side for me, along with moderately high pH and ABV. Needs a little something savory to get me to bite.

What the H E double-toothpicks; in 4 1.

[How good is this deal?](http://bit.ly/5jVOMb" title="How good is this deal?)

L&L is a pretty familiar and reliable name around here, but if there reputation is not enough for you, this deal ought to be. The 2007 Malbec is not yet available in the online store, so the price for that one is based on the 2006 vintage price found through Google.

Click the link above for full discount details, CT links and prices, and all the usual stuff.

The description says the Malbec was released in Jan 2010, so it looks like this is a woot launch for that bottle.

I want to know more about the vineyards - where they are, and what influences them - sea breezes, fog, temperature, soil, etc.

I’m wondering why the winery doesn’t have a “bordeaux blend” wine? It seems that they have all the parts in place with the varietals, and often with blending you can create that magical wine whose sum is greater than its parts.

Is something like that in the works or did I miss it on their website?

Hmmm…or maybe they want us to create out own blends by buying a bottle of each of the Bordeaux varietals and experimenting ourselves?

Slightly off-topic here: the last Malbec I tried (not L&L–forgot which vineyard) was very sour-tasting, and my sink eventually consumed the rest of my glass and the bottle. Is sourness a typical trait of Malbecs? Or would it be more likely that I just got a very bad wine? I was not having anything else other than wine.

dammit. wine.woot is my new late night shopping obsession. I finally had to buy a wine cooler so I can actually care for the ridiculous amount of wine I am now in possession of.

so, of course, in for one. these glowing recommendations are too difficult to resist, but after the holidays I can’t justify multiples anymore!

fyi, I will always be available to be a lab rat :slight_smile:

Alas, I have to pass on this one, even though I love Cabernet Franc and Malbec is one of my Hubs’ favorites… As it is, I have to add eight more bottles into the total, below…

First Sucker: MarkDaSpark
Last Wooter To Woot: tripgrad

I’m back in the saddle again…

I just received an (apparently) very expensive bottle of Cab Franc from the Wine Library’s thank you packs deal, so I’d like to give this a try first. In for one, and willing to sing (rat) like a canary.

I’ll give it a shot. I’ll use it as courage to invite a new lady over to taste test them with me.

Thanks Woot!

It has been a while since Lucas & Lewellen have been offered here. So glad to see them once again AND with a new variety. Really enjoy Malbec and glad CA has started with them. How would you compare it to an Argentina Malbec?

Would love to labrat …

People you can’t go wrong with any of these - don’t hesitate or you may miss out.