Luck Off

Luck Off

Luck Off

Cool, but what’s this a reference to? I didn’t see anything luck related in my search for ideas…

1 Like

I was just wondering the same thing. I mean, I also used a shamrock, but based it on the Kipling work in the PD listing.

1 Like

I dig yours and got the reference. Maybe we’re overthinking this one. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am lost in making the connection as well, but to be fair, my knowledge of works from 1923 is pretty limited.

1 Like

Somebody gets the reference since it shot right into the fog. Maybe one of the voters can solve this one for us.

Did we ever figure out what work this is based on? @lunchboxbrain?

1 Like

I am going to have to agree here folks, @lunchboxbrain I can’t find the connection to a 1923 piece of work. My knowledge of works published in 1923 is also limited and my research not completely thorough because there’s a lot. So I am going to have to reject unless you can make the connection for us?!

2 Likes

Giving lunchbox the benefit of the doubt, I assume there will be a response with a title from 1923. I would love to see it posted here so we all can have our curiosity satisfied.

Google turned this up and it seems likely: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out_of_Luck_(1923_film)

2 Likes

Definitely a possibility, but it would still be glad to hear from the artist, rather than assume what he/she meant.

I agree! That’s why I asked here…this derby is an especially difficult one to handle rejections on because there is more chance that I am wrong, since there is just so much material covered. I would hate to DQ anyone and find that their entry was legitimate.

Based on exactly that it’s reasonable (and possibly responsible) to expect the artist to cite the work that inspired the design. I knew mine wouldn’t be obvious so I did. The Felix and Bambi entries are a given, sure, but the others should have some notation. @Lady5tark and the rest of the woot staff need to judge based on the information you have in hand.

Maybe in the future we can require that be provided with the entry?

Clarification…totally my bad, was included as a note on the submission and I just found it…this is the reference (Out of Luck (1923 film) - Wikipedia totally valid entry ~ my bad @lunchboxbrain!

@acraigl I thought about that, but I didn’t want to make too much of a barrier for entry for you guys. For a lot of our artists this is not a full time focus so I don’t want to add to anyone’s to do list! You better believe I will be giving myself a break on research based derby themes for a bit though…:joy::rofl:

3 Likes

And here ends this episode of “WHATS! THAT! REFERENCE!”
Thanks for clearing it up Kate! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just seeing this thread now, gang. Sorry for the delayed response. And yes - the design was inspired by the title of the 1923 film Out Of Luck.