Luna Vineyards 2006 Napa Valley Merlot - 3 Pack
$49.99 + $5 shipping
CONDITION: Red
PRODUCT: 3 Luna Vineyards 2006 Napa Valley Merlot
CT link above

Winery website

Luna on Twitter
Luna on Facebook

Winery: pH? TA? Type of oak and % of new and used? Case production?

On their site for $40 a bottle or $120 for what you can get for $49.99 (plus shipping of course)

Winery on Yelp
Yelp

From the description, looks like we should lay these babies down for at least 2 years. Thanks for including that info woot/WD.

Hopefully after the debacle yesterday, we will see some good winery feedback. The winery website is at least far more professional than yesterday’s. I look forward to today;s discussion.

Is this the Clif Family Winery’s label targeted at women?

froogle

1 review at cork’d

Luna at Tasting Room

Luna harvest video 2007

From the winery website
link

The harvest was very late in 2006, just as it was in 2005. The grapes in the 2006 Napa Valley Merlot were picked throughout the first two weeks of October, at an average of 26.2 degrees Brix. The wine was then fermented naturally for nineteen days, without the addition of yeasts or acids. Following the fermentation, all lots were macerated on their skins for twenty-five days. The wine spent twenty months in fifty percent new French oak barrels, before being bottled in July, 2008, without fining or filtration.

The men behind Luna are well known, to say the least. Here is a good article with some of their history. I’ve had the sangiovese and the pinot grigio, not the merlot.

Nice. There’s one answer. And I love unfined, unfiltered wines. Merlot, though, I don’t usually love. To light for me, most of the time.

Kyle +1

These are serious wine people, and they are experienced with Merlot, so this is an offering that Merlot fans should seriously consider. Numbers are a little higher than I like (picked at a higher Brix, higher alcohol), but not crazy. It’s a 2006, so it should be a (relatively) early drinking wine - probably needs a year or two in bottle after 20 months in new oak.

When I woke up this morning I was disappointed not to see a voice mail on my machine from Luna. It reminded me of my 20’s, when I first started dating my wife…

• I have to wonder if this winery is playing “hard to get”?

…with a name like Luna, it just might work.
:happy:

Some pretty good reviews here from the experts:
http://www.wineaccess.com/wine/product/11021824/2006-Luna-Vineyards-Merlot-Napa-Valley

EDITED for the OOPS, wrong link

I think the review above (based on the name of the link) is for the cab.

$25.98 on the web (best price I see)/$16.66 here. So - pretty good value.

http://www.shopwinedirect.com/luna-vineyards-napa-merlot-2006.html?SID=9aa48c591f35e4179cd58c4116b543d7

Unfortunately I can’t speak to their Merlot, but I can say that their 2006 Pinot Grigio was my absolute favorite bottle for about two years… until I couldn’t find it anymore :frowning:

Agreed. and the winery is a pleasure to work with. Happy about this one…

On WineSpectator.com, Tim Fish didn’t care too much for it . . .

LUNA Merlot Napa Valley 2006
Score: 78
Release Price: $40
Region: Napa
Issue: Web Only - 2009

Tight and lean, with muddled fruit and distinct notes of cedar and leather. Tasted twice, with consistent notes. 2,500 cases made. –TF

FWIW . . . .