Luna Vineyards 2006 Napa Valley Merlot - 3 Pack

ummm, you do realize that sounds like a description of a pretty good St. Emilion or Pomerol Merlot-based wine…

very different from typical California Merlot which tends to be immediately fruity, but flat tasting, flabby in the middle palate, and with a short finish.

I’m not sayin’, I’m just sayin’ . . .

I’m just putting the info out there for others to make their decisions. I do like both styles of Merlot, if they are well done and in the right atmosphere or a good pairing. Nothing is worse than a bad Merlot . . . OK, maybe there are worse things . . . :slight_smile:

If the CT information is correct, Tanzer gave it a 92…anyone read his note?

I’m not sticking up for yesterday’s winery by any means, but to be honest, not all people want a “professional” website.

I actually enjoy the more laid back wineries… anything to disassociate myself or the winery being snobby is preferrable.

There is a line that one can cross that it becomes way too laid back too. In my experiences, you will probably never catch me in the Vino Family (too loose) or the Sebastiani Vineyards (too snobby) tasting rooms, but I could spend the better part of a day at the Ravenswood Tasting Room/Estate.

Somehow, having known 3 or 4 generations of Sebastianis, snobby is not a word I associate with any of them. Gus would be rolling over in his grave (in his overalls!).

it does help keeping the kids (even snobby ones) in line when you can tell them… back in the days when i drank with your great grandfather… :stuck_out_tongue:

I didn’t say that the family is snobby, just that the Tasting Room experience was… my wife and I were one of 4 total tasters and the person pouring the wine couldn’t have been more put off by my wife and I. I didn’t get a discount on the tasting nor the wine that I purchased.

Perhaps it was an off day for them or something, but not 30 minutes prior to that tasting, the Ravenswood staff practically treated us as family. Very pleasant tasting experience, involved and informative, and he gave us discounts on the tasting and bottles purchased.

Also, I read this tidbit from a Google search: Long owned and operated by the Sebastiani family (Italian immigrant Samuele Sebastiani bought the vineyard in 1904), the firm was sold in 2008 to Bill Foley, the billionaire founder and chairman of title insurance giant, Fidelity National Financial, who folded it into Foley Family Wines, his growing California wine empire.

I was there just this past spring… perhaps the new ownership has brought a change? Regardless, I will not be going back there if/when I am back in Sonoma.

Maybe it was because you walked in expecting special treatment. Do you expect a restaurant to give you a discount on your meal? Or a store, a discount on your purchase?

Ahhh! Stop putting words in my mouth!

I didn’t EXPECT a discount, I would have been happy with a good tasting experience, but I didn’t get that. If Ravenswood had not discounted me, I would still feel the same way about them that I do now. The non-discount was more of a knife-twist to the overall experience.

And don’t forget to go out and Vote today!!

I was at the polls when the opened at 6:00 am. Sure felt good!

Stephen Tanzer note (ah oo gah!) :slight_smile: :

“Bright red-ruby. Aromas of blackberry, graphite and game, plus a smoky, flinty note winemaker Drash describes as “Black Cat firecracker.” Juicy and mineral-driven, offering an enticing combination of density and clarity. This very sexy wine should give early pleasure but also age well.”

It does sound like a Bordeaux more than a CA sunshine Merlot. Definitely not my style, but should be enjoyable for those who like this type of wine.

Does that mean we can expect to see their Italian varietals up one day in the not too distant future? Maybe some Sangiovese/Barbera/Pinot Grigio? :slight_smile:

Yet, these guys own Château Souverain, and those wines are seriously uninteresting.

A Pinot Grigo sounds fantastic!

Don’t forget: Tomorrow is black tie Wednesday (unless there’s a woot-off)!

Cedar and leather is Pomerol or St Emilion? Well I never… I was worried that this one was too oaky. Tell me it’s not too oaky!

I find a St Emilion '98 drinks well about now. Not oaky. Cedar? Hmmm maybe I don’t know what cedar tastes of…

Cedar and leather are oak characteristics and 20 months in 50% new seems like a lot, but the grapes can handle it…

At 6 am??? Masochist!! :wink:

We just had a Woot-Off recently. Shouldn’t have the next one until the week of the 15th. Course they could have a short one before Thanksgiving! :wink: