Luna Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon (4)

Luna Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon 4-Pack
$59.99 $120.00 50% off List Price
2014 Luna Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon, California

Wine.Woot will close on December 31, 2017

Read about it here

[grape]

After an eventful trip full of wrong turns, bad directions and other misadventures, a dog-tired woot monkey showed up just in the nick of time with a bottle of 2014 Luna Cabernet Sauvignon. What a nice surprise!

I opened it and let it sit a bit before pouring. The first thing I noticed is there is no mention of an appellation on the front or back labels. I’m assuming it’s California based on Luna’s home in American Canyon, CA.

Color is pristine red, nearly clear at the edges, and surprisingly translucent. It has an unusual nose, such that I have to get out my trusty Aroma Wheel. It’s earthy, with fresh mushroom, and smokey. Not bretty or wet, not corked. Just…unusual. Where’s the fruit?

It’s medium bodied, with an initial glycerin feel, quickly giving way to dusty cranberries, pepper, and cherries. The tannins arrive late but with surprising force, and carry on through to the finish, which is dry in front with some red fruit peeking out in the back. There’s also a bit of heat (14.7% alc) and some older milk chocolate.

My drinking buddy (SWMBO) said it smelled “woodsy”, but the wine was smooth with good fruit flavor, and gave it a thumbs up.

It’s young. IMHO, I think the tannins need more time to integrate, because they are muffling the red fruit flavors from the mid-palate on. It lacks concentration and I miss the blue fruit I’m used to tasting in a nice cabernet. The woot price seems fair as there’s more going on here than in the typical supermarket fruit bomb (which this definitely is NOT), and SWMBO likes it, but it’s not for me.

Thanks Merbill. Since there are no other comments/reviews, based on your description I’ll pass on this one and wait with fingers crossed for a final woot wine spectacular.