Lutron Single Pole Eco-dim Dimmer - Your Choice

Mood lighting for those romantic nights in your tool shed? This makes two in a row that don’t make sense for this category.

just want everyone to know these are for incandescent bulbs and not compact florescent or LED bulbs. Expect to pay double for that style :frowning:

Does the guy in the picture come with it. :slight_smile:

lukewarm reviews (3.5 out of 5.0) on the MS-OP600GHW-WH over at amazon

Same reaction (3.5 out of 5.0) on the MS-OP600GHW-WH over at homedepot.com

Take note:
“Works with incandescent and halogen bulbs, up to 600 Watts”

In other words, don’t count on it working well with most CFL bulbs. It is very typical for these types of dimmers to use a TRIAC for the switching, which apparently can wreak havoc on the bulbs even if you leave it on full brightness. Will it be better with dimmable LED bulbs? Maybe.

If I’m laying in bed watching tv is this going to turn the lights off because I’m not running around the room?

As with the typical occupancy/vacancy sensors, the answer leans towards a yes.

I’ve been using this to control a mixed of 4 CFL & 3 LED recessed lights for a year; it’s worked fine so far as I haven’t seen any problem yet.
Could it shorten the life of these lights?

bummer, my current electronic dimmer (similar to these) wreaks havoc on the set of dimmable fluorescent bulbs, even burning one out after less than a year (that’s after removing my incandescent bulb that has been running 15 yrs). With the dimmable CF, I can get it to stay on (but not at full brightness, dimmer goes nuts), but once I turn them off, they seem to have to cool down or something since I cannot turn them back on until a bit of time later.

FWIW most common CFL bulbs only last a year before the cheap ballast components fail anyway, especially if you put them bulb down.

I have 2 candelabra CFL that failed in under 4 months each.

SUPER bummed these aren’t straight dimmers. I’d easily get at least 3 if they were.

As helpful suggestion/potential usage, I have a (somewhat similar) motion-sensor switch in my garage. It is quite handy to never have to worry about turning on the light.

Minimum load for these kind of incandescent dimmers is 40W. Summary load of your CFLs and LEDs is about that or more, so it’s OK to use if you can’t see any flickering.

So if I roll over in my sleep(we all do) this is going to sense movement in the room and turn on my lights…?

Yes and No. If you leave the sensor in occupancy mode it turns on whenever it detects movement in the room and turns off when no movement is detected. If you change it to vacancy mode then you have to manually turn on the light and it turns off based on no movement. The OP600 switch can do both and the VP600 switch is vacancy only. Also be aware that these do not have a light sensor, meaning no matter what time of the day it is, these lights will turn on/off accordingly.

I’ve got one of these in my dining room, and we love it. It has a lot of programmable options and gives the room a nice sense of swag when the lights automatically fade on as you walk in. One thing to note: the occupancy sensor doesn’t detect motion through glass. Ours is near a french door and won’t work if the glass is covering the sensor.

And yes – if you are in bed, the lights will eventually dim out. A bedroom may not be the best application for an occupancy sensor because your lights may suddenly come on as you’re sleeping. (A vacancy sensor is a better bet.)

If you really care about saving money, you’re mostly using CFL or LED bulbs, so I don’t see the point of this thing, except perhaps for a halogen fixture over the vanities. The thing is in my master bath the switch is on the other side of a wall so the sensor wouldn’t even do the right thing. You need to take a hard look at line of sight from the switch to where there would be motion in any room. I hate these things at work - even in my office if somebody leaves a side chair blocking the sensor the light will wind up turning off every few minutes.

Incandescent bulbs only? Where have the Lutron production schedulers been for the last two years - guess they overslept a bit on the run for these.

Incandescents are almost two generations old. Even if you hate the govt ordering you to change over, once the purchase price came down on CFLs the electricity savings were a no brainer.

When you think about it incandescent lights really haven’t changed that much since Thomas Edison made them practical over 125 years ago. Incandescent bulbs are heaters, not light producers. (Kinda ironic that we’d pay the power company to heat up the house and then pay them again to cool it down with A/C.)

Our local Costco is even phasing out of CFLs and into LEDs - the price on those is still two high to make sense. Especially since the electricity savings isn’t nearly as dramatic on this transition.

Of course California has its own regulations for the good old light switch.

Next you’ll tell me they have their own regulations for lawn mowers!