Lytro Light Field Digital Cameras

I’ve always been a fan of these things, but with the recent news of the company’s realignment and layoffs arriving this week, I have to assume the healthier reports I’d seen over the last few months were pretty skewed. A shame.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/25/8109985/lytro-virtual-reality-video-funding

It’s still a fun device, a new way to play with photography, and the file format is still open-source, but even the enthusiastic community around these may have a hard time sustaining itself. I’d still buy one – I still use the one I bought here last year at twice the price – but at this point, any fan of these cameras has to have his or her eyes open.

These things are here nearly every week. I wouldn’t buy one simply because there are too many of them here. Too many refurbished on Woot = too many broken cameras.

If the item originally sold for $130 (current price) and we assume the original buyer had to return it for a repair, and instead they shipped a new one and sold the repaired one on Woot, how much longer than the cash flow last?

I don’t think they’re refurbished because they were broken. I thin they’re refurbished because the novelty simply wears off after you realize how little you can do with this, and how limited you are in showing off your work. If you want to share these pictures with the world, you rely on lytro’s little eco system; if you want to flatten the picture, you have something like a 1MP available. You can’t win.

It’d be worth it at $25-$30 to play around a bit and have a few oohs and ahhs, but at $70 shipped, it’s a no-go.

[QUOTE=ugrasse2, post:4, topic:444454]
I don’t think they’re refurbished because they were broken. I thin they’re refurbished because the novelty simply wears off after you realize how little you can do with this, and how limited you are in showing off your work.

I remember trying, some time ago, to figure out what these gadgets actually did - beyond just take digital photos like any other camera - and was just completely stumped. I looked at sample pics on their website, I think I posted a question to Woot!, and even though I think someone tried to answer, I still couldn’t figure out what nifty little thing it’s supposed to do.

As someone who’s interested in photography, I remember having a “Oh, that’s kinda cool” reaction to seeing them the first time, but if most folks, like me, can’t figure out what they actually do, that might explain why the company’s fortunes are slowly sliding south.

Not trying to be a luddite here… just genuinely confused.

“…its cameras still can’t land a single truly sharp focus…Lytro is laying off employees …its cameras haven’t been particularly successful… Lytro does plan to keep working on photography, though. …a third light-field camera offering a higher resolution is planned for next year.”

[http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/25/8109985/lytro-virtual-reality-video-funding]

Translation, “move on, there’s nothing to be seen here!”

I’m in the same boat. I never figured out what these gadgets do that can’t be done with a smartphone’s camera and software. Even many luddites have smartphones these days, if only because they were issued one at work. :wink: