Maestral Ice Wine by Dan Tudor 375ml (2)

Thanks for the question! While at VinExpo in HK this year I met the German Riesling producer who won the Best Desert Wine of the Year with his 2002 ice wine. He came over to our table in the California section and tasted our newly bottled Maestral Wein der Eisbox. He said “Excellent! You know this can age 50 or more years?”.

According to one of the top German ice wine makers it can age 50+ years.

I’m in. I will definitely take a flyer on this one. Dan is always here to participate and have heard good things about his wine.

With that being said, Dave, I am an enabler, so if you would be interested in one of these as well to compare to the Angel Eis, I would part with one. If not, more for me.

And Dan, please do try Scott’s Eis Wine (click link). It it is very excellent and I can’t wait to compare this wine to it.

Comparable German “ice wine” will cost $60 and up.

Enablers are we all!

Sounds interesting.
I’m a zin drinker. I don’t like a very sweet zin. Wld I like this?

great! Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Glad to hear the botrytis was removed - that’s the major difference to me between icewine and other highly concentrated dessert wines (e.g. Sauternes). However, isn’t the difference between Trockenbeerenauslese and eiswein that the former is allowed botrytis while the latter is not? IIRC, both require brix > 35 to be classified as such.

Here’s a bit from Decanter mag -

Eiswein suffers under climate change
Friday 27 June 2008

I believe that’s correct. We’ve been told that ice wine can be made in two styles - without botrytis and with botrytis.

This is a desert. You can pair it with cheeses, foie gras, cheese cake, crème brulée, or just serve it alone.

I’m a sucker for ice and dessert wines, but I also live in PA. Wish I could help out more with the wine woot off, but I guess the fact that I could go on a weekend trip to the Finger Lakes or Niagara on the Lake makes up for the silly shipping regulations.

What just happened? It went from 90+% available to the next offer in minutes. (While I was still thinking about breaking my moratorium.)

This article speaks to the quality. The wine was served at the Highlands Inn Pacific Edge Restaurant in Carmel Highlands Julie Childs 100th Birthday Celebration. They say the wine made the dessert course a homerun.
“Current Highlands Pastry Chef Gina Scalla closed with a plate of marcona almond, raspberry-lavendar sorbet, light lemon curd and yum honey creme fraiche that got a boost from Tudor Wines’ 2011 Maestral Riesling Ice Wine.”

http://www.montereycountyweekly.com/weblogs/edible-complex/2012/aug/27/julia-child-100th-birthday-celebration-drips-memor/

Same, minus the moratorium part. That was never in effect for me.

Yes, I realize that, but I can also get a very good Canadian for 25-30 at my local wine shop on special. I just picked up a couple of bottles a few weeks ago, although I gave one away, and now the sale’s over but I know another one will come along soon.

Maybe I will give yours a try the next time it comes around, but part of the joy of ice wine is that it is controlled by nature not PG&E.

I’m kinda sad I missed this. Hope it comes back some time!