Magellan 4.3" GPS with Lifetime Maps & Traffic

Today’s offer only comes with the preloaded maps for US, Canada, Puerto Rico.

The Magellan Website, however, has European Maps available for download: http://www.magellangps.com/European_Map_Download

I think they are worth 39 bucks. What you need to do is pre-populate the device with the places they travel to frequently. Ask them where they go. After your dad sees how cool it works he’ll be motivated to learn more about how the device works. Hopefully, before long he’ll be entering his own destinations. Motivation is key to people adopting technology. You’ll probably still need to handle the map updates, but that’s what children are for.

I’ve had a similar Magellan for a couple years now. I really like it and prefer using it over Google Maps, etc. It will usually stick to the major routes and fast re-routing when you turn off the route. Address entry can be a bit annoying, it’s not the fastest.
They update the maps about 4x a year, and the software will let you know so you don’t have to manually check. Concerning map updates, its for the unit lifetime AND while their vendor continues to supply updates. But the updates have come regularly for me in the last 2 years. Speaking of the software, it works, but it’s a bit clunky.
As for traffic… It relies on the FM traffic that’s broadcast. So it’s a bit hit and miss. It has helped me out tremendously though in traffic clogged areas such as traveling through DC. Earlier this year, my vehicle cord went bad so I bought a replacement on Amazon. Lo and behold, the traffic no longer responds. Yes, the antenna is in the cord. So I only get traffic updates sparingly now…
Finally, while the speed limit can get annoying it has saved me a few times from a ticket by yelling at me to slow down…

Is it practical to buy if your cigarette lighter does not work?

in that case just junk the car and buy one that already has a GPS built in :smiley:

Since one joker provides no good advice, check the fuse for the lighter. Can’t tell you where it’s located on your vehicle, but usually one is marked for the lighter or power outlets. If the fuse is good, and you’re positive of that, you can buy replacement lighter units to install for a few dollars.

And without power, the GPS will only work while the battery is charged up. If you don’t mind taking it out each day and recharging in your house/office, then you don’t need the lighter anyhow.

Hey there. Is this voice activated like the 4050?

I bought one the last time they were on. My Virgin mobil (Sprint) Phone quit working when I crossed in to Colorado… Good thing I grew up there and know my way around…

It does not have voice control. I’ve had no problems updating it. It the traffic alert most of the time says there is either no service or alerts. The controls are a little slow, takes a while to respond. Even indoors it has a signal. For the price it is ok.

Same here, Lifetime maps means nothing. It was more like download new maps for $99 for the lifetime of the product. Perhaps someone can tell us if this deal is any different.