Magnavox Blu-ray Disc Player

I have this exact player. For those who asked, no, it does not connect to the internet. It is pretty much just a basic Blu-Ray player. No frills, but the picture looks good. Unfortunately, mine decided about a week ago to stop playing Blu-Ray discs. Not sure why, and there are presently no firmware updates for this, so going to exchange it tomorrow.

It does still play DVDs, though.

Yes, it carries both.

I bought a Magnavox Blu-ray player last year when Woot offered it. It would not update. I downloaded the software update file and burned a DVD- disc that was required. It simply would not update the software. I ended up giving it to a charity. I was very disappointed. I bought a Sony and it would play everything…at the time. It would not play the new Blu-ray of Avatar. It required tetanoter update. I am sick of this annual replacement of my video and audio collection.
THIS WAS MY ONLY WOOT PURCHASE OF OVER 50 I HAVE MADE THAT WAS A DISAPPOINTMENT.
-David

Hi…

Is it a REGION 1 player or supports All Region Blue Ray Disks??

Just now had the money to get our first big flat screen LCD HDTV. Still no Blu-Ray player. Is this a good one for our first one? What’s a good brand? For those griping about it not connecting to the internet, please forgive my ignorance but why would my DVD player need to connect to the internet???

No Divx??? Nothing listed on the specs.

Owner’s manual in .pdf format

C’mon Woot! Why couldn’t this have been offered a few weeks ago when I was in the market for one for my wife’s birthday?

Just a heads up for people considering buying their first Blu-ray player. In the near future, internet bandwidth is going to explode. Google has announced to an extent that it is playing with the ISP business and will be offering 1 Gbps. I’d say the absolute fastest you can get currently is about 25 Mbps, with an average consumer speed of about 10-15 Mbps. That’s at LEAST a 400% increase in data transfer. What does this mean? Streaming. Physical media is already on its way to the grave with this development, and Blu-ray producers are making last ditch efforts at selling their impending-waste-of-money. So, if you don’t think you’ll be into the whole streaming concept coupled with our rapidly growing hard drive space, I’d still say wait on buying Blu-ray discs and players. Why? Because when the crap hits the fan, these products won’t be worth much, and the price should drop even further in my opinion. If you believe in BitTorents, youtube, megavideo, or netflix, you may see the truth in what I’m saying. Besides, there are a lot of iffy things about Blu-ray anyway. If you don’t have a 1080p tv, you won’t notice the difference between a dvd. Even if you do have 1080p, there are plenty of debates about the quality. Just food for thought.

I’ve been reading through the reviews and it IS, in fact, capable of firmware updates. What you need to do is download the software, burn it to a CD, then insert the CD into the BluRay player and it will pull off the updates there.

It does not. From someone on Amazon: “You can upgrade the firmware by burning a CD from the mfg website and loading it into the BD player.”

Hey David, what type of Sony player do you have? Sony CS is a bitch to deal with, but if you are firm, they will send you a disc with the latest firmware (tv’s take a usb). If your Sony player has an ethernet port, you can get a cable and update that way too. The ethernet cables are very inexpensive (monoprice, for instance). Burning to disc has never worked for me.

My lower end model is the bdp 350 and have another one which is a bdp 550, anyway they are identical and they both play Avatar flawlessly.

Hope this help you.

PEACE

Bought one and returned it. No internet connectivity, would not play smome newer blu-ray titles, and no firmware updates available to fix the problem.

2 YouTube videos:

review

unboxing

This seems to be the page where the firmware update would be if they come out with one. There’s a player listed with a very similar model number. Might be a compatible update?

False. I have a 1080i TV and the difference between blurays and standard DVDs is very stark, and very noticeable. You do not need a 1080p TV to see a difference.

What SD slot?

the skinny hole in the front

Great Christmas Present though. But really if you can afford a HDTV you should invest in a PS3.

Warning below is me going off the point of this Magnavox but may help some people with consoles. If you don’t own a console don’t bother reading

The only downside to a PS3 is it sucks at streaming videos from your PC if you are using TVersity or PlayOn. I use my Xbox 360 for that. I can steam 1080p movies from PC via Ethernet cable and it runs smooth as butter.I have tons of movies on my PC and Tversity destroys Windows Media Center. Plus you can install RSS feeds like The Onion and Youtube watch them. TVersity works fine on the PS3 ezcept for 1080p movies but I guess that’s what the Blu-Ray player is for. Oh and Netfix works awesome on both consoles.

But for $299 you can get a sweet Blu-ray player amd Gaming/Entertainment system. And since Sony invented the Blu-ray format (i think) I wouldn’t waste my cash on anything else. I bought my PS3 6 months ago and it came with 120gb HD, Wi-Fi and Ethernet.

1. No Internet streaming service will even begin to approach the bitrate/quality of Blu-ray within the lifetime of this player.

2. If you can’t tell the difference between a well-encoded/transferred Blu-ray and DVD on even an only half-decent 720P/1080i display, you’re in no position to be making recommendations related to display technologies. You probably shouldn’t be driving a car either.