Magnavox FM Transmitter

This looks like a cool product, except that it only has 4 stations, in my area i have bad luck with those four particular stations, I am not sure, but I think someone broadcasts on those ones. But It looks like it is worth the 7 dollars.

if you buy 3 it’s cheaper :smiley:

WILL DIS WERK WIF MAH PACEMAKR?

http://english.people.com.cn/200605/26/images/cat.jpg

Ha Ha all you ipod users! I bought my very own ZUNE from woot! It comes with it’s own fm transmitter built in! I don’t need this garbage! HA HA HAAA!!

Edit: um… I thought this was an fm receiver… I feel kinda stupid now… crap :frowning:

I would get this x3 – go nicely with my Zen / wooted sansa that’s still on its way – but I’m so low on money… No job + In high school + Credit card + woot addiction (7 since I started in July) = baaad, gotta watch what I spend.

It’s always the shipping that gets me.

Oh well, thanks anyway woot.

Er, wouldn’t that be an FM receiver?

I was wondering about that! W T F? I didn’t see anything about that in the Zune specs. I thought for a sec it was part of the new Zune 2 firmware…

It would be nice though–If they can package them solo for a couple bucks, seems they could add that feature to the zune itself without too much trouble?

I recently used a similar device on a car trip from NYC to Boston. It had a selection of four stations at the low end of FM and four at the high end. And I had to hold it with my mp3 player at a very strange angle pressed up against the (front passenger) window most of the time. When my dad (driver) uses it, he just puts it above the back seat. Driving through CT? We had to re-adjust the station every so often because it got overpowered by the local stations. Think about it, you’re using a low powered transmitter from inside your car. Your antenna, however, is outside the car (ours is near the trunk, hence back seat). It just doesn’t work. Why listen to all your nice, digital music through a staticky FM transmitter to your spiffy car stereo? Cassette tape style device connectors work much better, if of course your car has a tape deck.

Wrong!

I think this is a Sellout I’m going to have to pass on.
Something like the iTrip for an iPod is better, these will burn through batteries!

Looking forward tomorrow.

TWG

For $0.99 each I’d buy 3.
At this price… no thanks… I can have one with cigar lighter power and digital frequency control for the same price at dealextreme.com !

I promise the rest of us zune owners arent like this guy.

My cheap Generic Car stereo doesn’t actually let me tune to those 4 Freq. It stops at about 89.1 before it goes back to the top… Well, I live in Los Angeles, I have a Belkin Tunecast that plugs into the car outlet and interacts with my ipod. For some strange reason it works better the closer i press it to my car stereo, I also have one that looks like this and was also a belkin, but doesn’t interact with my ipod just a jack. It’s ok and It’s digital. I wouldn’t pay anything above 10 for this, and with shipping it’s above 10 and i don’t need 3. Your out of luck when your in Los Angeles though, Its funny sometime when you drive next to a car that also transmit on basically the only single clear frequency in Los Angeles and you get a really weird sound from your stereo. (btw, I know every other even freq is empty, but for me theres only 1 really good one static free) Oh and if your car has an option to lower or raise your ant. Then get one of these, They work godly if you can lower your ant. (used it in an OLD BMW that had a manual control for it). Mostly something i see in older cars though.

the built in frequencies just don’t go low enough. It’s not really the fact that’s there are only four of them…it’s the fact of which four they chose to put on there.

something low like 87.9 would be much more acceptable.

With that inclusion this would be a very versatile item since you could take it to any car with a radio and not have to worry about a functioning fuse for the cigarette lighter. Also, the connection through the audio port allows for connecting to mp3s in more restrictive cases, which would usually require the removal of the case to connect something like an iTrip.

Bad frequencies means a no-go for me on this one.

Not only are the choices of frequencies poor; having just 4 to choose from IS bad, unless you live in some tiny rural area with few radio stations.

I live ~40 miles from Chicago, and transmitters like this are worthless. I wooted one of the digital kind that can switch to any frequency, and if I drive more than a few miles I often have to hunt for a new one.

Also…with any of these FM transmitters, do not expect awesome sound. Even at their best, these never sound as good as, say, a cassette adapter. Not trying to discourage someone from using one – just trying to set realistic expectations.

Totally true. The power is not awesome and you’ll have minor interference fairly frequently that you just have to deal with. Sometimes it will be powerful enough that even if a station is broadcasting at that frequency you’ll still hear your own stuff, but usually it’ll cut in and out.

As far as the channels go, eh, I dunno. I have one that hooks into the cigarette lighter and you can set two presets on it as well as manually go through each station, and I never needed to use more than the two. During this time I was living/traveling around Louisville, and I also took a trip, using the transmitter the entire time, from Louisville to Nashville to Memphis to Little Rock to Dallas to Austin, and still never had to use anything but the two preset channels I had chosen before.

If you do plan to use this locally I wouldn’t recommend getting it if you know that all 4 of the frequencies hardcoded in are used in your area.

I’ve found output thru the 3.5 mm jack on my iPod to be too low for anything other than headphones. Unless this thing has some sort of amplifier built in, I think it’s a waste, at least as far as iPods go.

there is nothing wrong with fixed frequencies, unless you’re unlucky enough to live in an area where there are strong real stations on all 4

You are better off with an aux. input LIKE THIS

i lol’d

\i can has good FM transmitter?
\clearly no

seriously, who would even think this is good, i get static over ALL FM bands, no fail, thats why i stopped using my Sat Radio on FM and direct connected…

Seriously though, if you get this, god bless you, because you probably know somehow this would come in handy for you… for me… not so much