Make Some Noise

Glad you got out of Bose, lots of overrated hype in their stuff. Sounds nice but it’s so overpriced for what goes into the items. Some of their old speakers were quality but even then they cost a pretty penny.

I had some 401’s and I wasn’t impressed, and the prices on headphones (which turn to crap, I’ve seen several pairs disintegrate) and the shelf radio systems as well as 2.1/5.1 sets are astronomical.
A good receiver with high-power surround drivers and quality decoding mated with even decent drivers = all you need. Upgrade to premium units later (or now with woot) and you’ll just keep smiling with every step.
Although I’d get nice speakers and upgrade the amp asap afterward, better bang-for-buck as long as you don’t under-power and over-drive your speakers (low power @ high volume will damage them)
Fun stuff.

Good morning. Arin with Pinnacle Speakers here. The QP7 is a Passive (non Powerered)SpeakerBAr. Passive, meaning it does not have a built in amplifier or “virtual” surround" and needs to be hooked up through a receiver or to some TV’s that have their own amplifier built in (not typical) It is an exceptional performer and requires a stereo receiver. A format of what the industry calls 2.1 using a powered speaker Bar and powered subwoofer all in 1 box typically are not acoustically comparable to these items until the price range is far greater. So, powered soundbars and powered subwoofer in a “BUNDLE” would acoustically compare to these items only once you surpass about $1,500 or so in price.

Hi Pinnacle Speakers here. Seems like some real audio experts out there. Neat! I will try and clarify some points on the Baby Boomer amplifer watts and low end response rating. The Baby Boomer uses 1 300 Watts RMS Amp driving 2 active 8" woofers, which in effect increases the amplifiers output to 600 watts total. Watts in and of themselves are not a reflection of performance at all. This particular design is a sealed (non-ported) and extremely compact enclosure. The small footprint is desired by many people who do not want or have room for a massive “COFFEE TABLE” sized subwoofer but want excellent deep and powerful bass. To acheive the bass in a small footprint, we need a very high powered amp to push 2 drivers in a sealed box. Because there is no port or vent means the air pressure inside the cabinet builds up and the only way to move the woofers is with a very high powered amp. Alternatively,a ported design allows the air moved by the woofers to escape the cabinet, and the release of that air pressure through the vent reduces the need for a larger amplifier, but will also increase the cabinet size. Bottom line, the watts is simply a requirement of the design approach, small footprint, sealed system, deep bass output. As to spec. The President of Pinnacle is in charge of Engineering and all Pinnacle acoustic engineers are themselves musicians. They determine specs and our Specs are conservative. The spec of 23Hz @ -3db is True (not stretched by the marketing department) Where we include specs of say ± 6 db, like we do with some products in the Black Diamond Series, we always state the 3db and 6 db spec so you know the difference. In the case of the Baby Boomer the low end response is 23Hz @ -3Db which means it is very audible and you will both hear it and feel the bass @ 23Hz. If it were -9Db you would not have much if any audible output and we simply do not spec our products that way. You will hear and feel this sub at 23Hz.

Hi Pinnacle Speakers here. Seems like some real audio experts out there. Neat! I will try and clarify some points on the Baby Boomer amplifer watts and low end response rating. The Baby Boomer uses 1 300 Watts RMS Amp driving 2 active 8" woofers, which in effect increases the amplifiers output to 600 watts total. Watts in and of themselves are not a reflection of performance at all. This particular design is a sealed (non-ported) and extremely compact enclosure. The small footprint is desired by many people who I didn’t cheat! or have room for a massive “COFFEE TABLE” sized subwoofer but want excellent deep and powerful bass. To acheive the bass in a small footprint, we need a very high powered amp to push 2 drivers in a sealed box. Because there is no port or vent means the air pressure inside the cabinet builds up and the only way to move the woofers is with a very high powered amp. Alternatively,a ported design allows the air moved by the woofers to escape the cabinet, and the release of that air pressure through the vent reduces the need for a larger amplifier, but will also increase the cabinet size. Bottom line, the watts is simply a requirement of the design approach, small footprint, sealed system, deep bass output. As to spec. The President of Pinnacle is in charge of Engineering and all Pinnacle acoustic engineers are themselves musicians. They determine specs and our Specs are conservative. The spec of 23Hz @ -3db is True (not stretched by the marketing department) Where we include specs of say ± 6 db, like we do with some products in the Black Diamond Series, we always state the 3db and 6 db spec so you know the difference. In the case of the Baby Boomer the low end response is 23Hz @ -3Db which means it is very audible and you will both hear it and feel the bass @ 23Hz. If it were -9Db you would not have much if any audible output and we simply do not spec our products that way. You will hear and feel this sub at 23Hz.

(MOD NOTE - edited duplicate info.)

That is correct. The front left and Front right and Center are all identical in the MB 11500+. The 3 driver configuration handles more power, and may be preferred for loud music listening or in a larger room. The MB 11500+ also has a 12" subwoofer which is good in a larger room or with high ceilings. In either instance the products are from our flagship BD Series.

not sure if my question is answered…I know a speaker could have ruler flat freq resp by doing some EQ’ing on the electronic section of the power amp. But I am wondering if the baby boomer naturally goes to 23hz w/o electronic EQing. Its like if I get a Blowse subwoofla and put a parametric EQ before it and make it ruler flat to 20hz. But the 40dB boost at 20hz would mean it can barely make any sound at 20hz before the woofla or amflipier runs out of steam.

I presume the natural freq resp of the 2x8in wooflas in that little box means they will start to roll off at 60-80hz and u need some electronic EQ to make it flat. I see u have other models with a platter connected to floppy rubber rings which vibrates at a lower freq than the woofla is able to make sound at, thus extending the natural freq resp a bit. But I don’t see that feature in this model.

This subwoofer is as specified. 23Hz @ - 3 DB, The Maximum SPL # is around 106DB. Very significant especially for a compact format. Our Acoustic engineers have an average experience at Pinnacle of 21 years. How they perform thier magic is on a product by product basis from the ground up.

Regards. all I just bought…

There is some good info as well as reviews from users on this forum.

Get it!!! DO IT!!!

Arin With Pinnacle Speakers here. I would also like to let you know all the subwoofers are manufactured in our factory on Long Island. These are American made products, bench tested Quality control and spec requirements for accuracy before they leave our factory.

how does the Pinnacle 5.1 compare with the Energy 5.1 Take Classic?
Are these Pinnacle’s refurbished? Compared with other sites, woot price seems great.

Know of any good cheap receivers that can power the 700 w speakers?

You might want to put a price range on that request. With out additional info I would suggest looking for a few year old model Onkyo, Denon, or Pioneer with good reviews either used or refurbed. Likely you’ll have to forgo networking related features, and things like on board apps or airplay, but they’ll still power the speakers and sound great.

I would just want the minimum that can play these speakers.
My price range currently, would be optimally be below $100 but $200 max.

If possible, please list out the products in each price range, from lowest to medium, to best. Also including bang for the buck items.

I hope I’m not asking for too much.