MakerBot Replicator (5th Generation) 3D Printer

Can I print my own 3d printer and return this one?

Well, I reckon you have until 3/31 with Hassle Free returns. I want a video though. :tongue:

Sure. Do you want to make a more traditional printed printer, like a Prusa i3, a more modern, high speed one like a D-bot, or do you want to go hard on the 3D printed parts and make like, a Snappy, which has 70% 3D printed components?

Or, did you not realize that 3D printers have been used to make 3D printers for just shy of a decade now?

Either way, Makerbot’s been a joke for four years, and even with this much of a markdown aren’t even competitive with machines half the cost. There are seriously $400 printers on the market that run circles around it now. I don’t blame Woot for selling these machines, as they’re getting rid of them as fast as they can, but I would highly caution against buying one.

Which $400 printers would you recommend?

It depends on your technical level. I have a New Matter Mod-T, and while not as detailed and precise as some, it does come ready to run straight out of the box. I’ve emailed and talked with their customer support department on various things, and engineers willingly get involved with offering solutions that are simple to understand.

If you have some experience or more tech proficient, there are some excellent machines out there in the $400 range that require assembly.

The wanhao i3 or i3 plus and its clones are nice. For this price I’d get an original prusa mk2

Here’s a couple of good pages with sub-$400 options:
https://3dprinting.com/3dprinters/cheap-3d-printer-kits/ and
https://www.3dhubs.com/talk/thread/best-3d-printer-under-400

Kits will be (obviously) a lot cheaper than ready-to-print setups, and you get a much better understanding of what the printer is capable of, as well as figuring out what upgrades you’ll inevitably want. The 3D printing Facebook group has a lot of resources for both the beginner and the pro, and there are a ton of support pages and web sites for specific printers and uses.

For a pure beginner this is a very-good-but-costly way to get started. One review said this about it:

*Pros
Safe design for an open-frame printer. User-friendly software. Prints via USB, Ethernet, and Wi-Fi, and from USB flash drives. Easy to set up and use. Very good print quality.

Cons
Can’t print tall objects. Noisy during operation. Relatively expensive filament.

Bottom Line
The MakerBot Replicator Desktop 3D Printer stands out for its ease of setup, smooth operation, above-average print quality, user-friendly software, and multiple connectivity choices. It’s the best high-end 3D printer we’ve tested.*

No matter which printer you end up getting (and you’ll end up with more than one), it’ll be a lot like your first sexual encounter: messy, expensive, something you want more and more once you get started, and your friends will always have had a better one than you.

Unless you are an experienced 3D printing person and know what you are getting into with this machine, I would not recommend it for a beginner. It has not been proven to be a reliable machine.

A beginner machine that I would highly recommend and helps dip your toe in the 3d printer water with an assembled machine (not a kit) that won’t break the bank:

Around $200:
Monoprice Select Mini (there is a V2 coming out in April/May so it shows out of stock right now). I have one and I had it printing out of the box in less than 15 minutes. There is a Facebook User’s group of over 5,000 members if that says anything and is a great resource with instructional beginner videos and advice:

https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=15365

Is the extruder a
Smart Extruder or a
Smart Extruder + ?

If it’s just the smart extruder you’ll pay another $800 in replacement extruders in the first six months because warranty doesn’t cover that. The smart extruder was a good idea but rushed into production and absolute garbsge. The plus has been better from what I’ve read.

I second the MP select Mini. My 12 year old son was able to get some neat things out of it and we have both been able to start down the path of designing what ever we want.