Mani Foods

WD: It was I who asked for these. Wifey will be very happy! Thanks much…

and for my second wish,

I would like some Corison Cab before the end of the year…New Years Day would be fine too!

Once opened, it’s to the fridge. I am just finishing a tub that I know are 6 months plus with no issues. You only need to remember to get them out early so they can “thaw” the oil, and the olives for that matter. Yes, it thickens the oil a bit.

yea, I wish too. I think cathy is tired of hearing from me after all.

Say it ain’t so!

I kept mine on the counter for just shy of a year. I primarily use these to make tapenade and only occasionally as a snack, so they tend to hang around.

Make sure you only use clean utensils to scoop them out, or wash your hands before sticking them in. Also, you’ll want to change the brine after several months - empty out the barrel, mix up some salt and water and put everything back in.

Haven’t had this brand and was ready to pull the trigger until I read this post. I assumed these were black Kalamata. Am I missing something here?

In for two! I love olives and can never pass this one up. Now I am craving olives. I live in Plano, is it possible for me to drop by Carrollton and pick some up??

I think these are the same as the ones in the black container, except that these are pitted.

Can anybody else weigh in?

These are awesome olives. I should have ordered more than one container last time they were offered. I can not find them anywhere else. Even when I tried to get them through whole food websites and amazon I couldn’t find anything that could compare.

I’d rather have them with pits, as I think they aid in keeping the flavor trapped in.

As far as how long they last once opened, I can only attest that they last you at least 3 months in the pantry.

I’m in for 3 this time.

Yes, I really enjoy the flavor and the quality/mix of these olives. I just find the texture of olives with pits more to my liking (and they take a bit longer to eat!)

The Black container (not black olives, black jar) was the one with pits while the red has always been pitted.

I’d buy these elsewhere too if I could find them but as far as I can see Woot gets these direct from the importer and I don’t know who else does.

:frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

I swear you said it would happen Klez :slight_smile:

Bring back the pits!!! They are so much better. I’d be in for three - damn, they’re good!

Woohooooo! These usually are featured on Woot in the middle of summer, but I never saw them and have been depressed for months. I am in for at least two.

I have purchased both the pitted and ones with pits, and agree that there is more flavor when these olives have pits. However, I think the pitted olive mix still is fabulous and is great for serving on their own to chopping up and using in recipes.

I know people in past Woots have said these are too salty and have recommended washing them, but I haven’t found the need to do that.

Also, I haven’t had a problem with the brine/olives going bad and have waited at least six months to open a container. Once opened, I have put the big jug in the refrigerator, but also have separated them out into smaller containers with the brine so as not to contaminate the whole lot.

Just my three cents …

These make excellent dirty martinis!!! Yum yum yum!!

Just buy them… they are very high quality… worry not!

Once opened, I do keep them in the fridge… they will last a great deal longer, and you don’t have to hassle with making new brine, or other tedious things… 'sides, they usually don’t last long enough to get weird or strange on you… I try to max out my order when they are offered… .

These are the best!! I bought my first jar August 2012. Left on the counter for about a month, then I put it in the fridge. About two months ago I put the last cup of so into a small jar to save for the holidays. Just went and tasted them to be sure they were still good and …they may not still be here by Tuesday.

I’m tempted, but broke & could probably only manage 1. Questions for the experts, please:

1. I’ve never had these. Is the mixed jar a good idea for a newbie about Greek olives?
  2. What’s the jar’s volume? (1.8kg doesn’t say much) Just roughly would do, or even how many olives it fits (not sure of the olive size either).
    Many thanks & happy days!
    Rosie

Rosie, buy the mixed olives container. It’ll give an array of flavors and textures for you to try.

Personally, I think these are the best olives I’ve ever tasted state side. I’m always going to specialty shops and little Italian and Mediterranean type stores to find great tasting olives. So far non have compared to these.

I’ve never had their pitted olives, and as another post mentioned, the ones with pits have more flavor. Regardless, I purchased one of each.

As far as volume…1.8 kg is very close to 4 lbs. I couldn’t tell you exactly how many olives though. Ha ha. If you are trying to imagine volume, I’d say that one container would probably fill a normal size blender 1.5 times. But I’m just guesstimating.

Exactly the kind of estimate I was looking for. Thank you!
Thanks also for the recommendation. My palate has gotten adventurous in my old age & I’m trying lots of new flavors.
Rosie

Has anyone compared these to the Roland brand? I had been looking at trying them but hadn’t pulled the trigger because of the mixed reviews.