Manuka Honey, Your Choice

Manuka Honey, Your Choice

“Manuka Hatata”

What a wonderful phrase!

1 Like

Boy is this Manuka Honey confusing, I wish some expert would sign in and advise. I’ve purchased both the +5 and +25 from WOOT before, they are both tasty, and I think the 25 tastes more medicinal and perhaps helps stomach problems. But you look on Amazon at all the +863’s etc and MGO vs UG or whatever, whew, can’t figure it out. Except you pay for what you get.

Looking here for experienced knowing people’s advice for medicinal use.

You asked, I delivered. No charge. From WEB MD:
Hydrogen peroxide gives most honey its antibiotic quality. But some types, including manuka honey, also have other ingredients with antibacterial qualities.

The major antibacterial component in manuka honey is methylglyoxal (MG). MG is a compound found in most types of honey, but usually only in small quantities.

In manuka honey, MG comes from the conversion of another compound, dihydroxyacetone, that is found in high concentration in the nectar of manuka flowers.

The higher the concentration of MG, the stronger the antibiotic effect.

Honey producers have a scale for rating the potency of manuka honey. The rating is called UMF, which stands for Unique Manuka Factor.

The UMF rating reflects the concentration of MG. To be considered potent enough to be therapeutic, manuka honey needs a minimum rating of 10 UMF. Honey at or above that level is marketed as “UMF Manuka Honey” or “Active Manuka Honey.” But doctors and researchers aren’t sure if this rating means anything from a medical standpoint.

1 Like

Furthermore- the one listed as +25 is pure Manuka, the other is a blend. If you are truly interested in the ‘healing qualities’ of this honey, go for the pure one.
Again, from WEB MD: The main medical use for manuka honey is on top of a wound. It is generally used for treating minor wounds and burns. Manuka honey is also marketed for use in many other conditions. But the evidence is limited on whether it works for these conditions.

The honey used to treat wounds is a medical-grade honey. It is specially sterilized and prepared as a dressing. So the jar of manuka honey in the pantry shouldn’t be part of your first aid kit. Wounds and infections should be seen and treated by a health care professional.

I love various types of honey. I generally have 3 to 5 types in my pantry. I consider manuka to be very tasty, on things like bread or toast where the taste really comes thru.

Thanks.

Sounds like snake oil

Snake oil was a real thing:

2 Likes