Mayo Family Mixed Red Pack (3)

I was just at the Mayo tasting room a few weeks ago. They have a very lively pourer gal there, makes for a great experience! I did not take detailed notes of the wines I tasted, but I do remember the majority being very new world; big, lush, ripe wines. The Zin in particular was especially ripe and had some RS. Tom or Jeff, can you comment on the %RS and age-ability of these wines?

Hmmm, maybe. I do have rather a bit too much wine. :wink:

In past years, after D&D, I’ve tried to visit your main tasting room, and have never been disappointed.

By the by, some of us may drop by your tasting room on Feb. 23rd (Sat) next year after Dark & Delicious on the 22nd next year.

Edit: One of your 2005 Petite Sirah Old Vines Sodini Ranch even made it back with me to one of our No. Virginia/DC gatherings. Of course, it was a PS tasting. :tongue:

Let’s say I want to cellar these wines - for how long can I hold the Mayo?

Hi AJ…

You are thinking of Courtney, who is Jeff’s cousin. She’s our secret weapon. You know those tasting rooms where the person behind the bar would clearly rather be some place else? You’d never mistake Courtney for that person.

The Zin is going to have a bit RS. At the moment I don’t the exact figure but will call Mike Berthoud, the winemaker, and get the answer. The GSM and the Barnstromer Cab are effectively dry.

By the way, if you go to the tasting room and encounter Courtney and want her to open more wines for you, best bet is to talk real nice about the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Harmonious,
I’m really disappointed it took upwards of four or five comments in before someone asked about “Holding the Mayo”. In any case, you win the prize. There is a jar of Mayonnaise awaiting you at the tasting room.

As for HOLDING the Mayo wines, we think this Unti Vineyard Zin is going to show its forward fruit best for another 3 years or so. After this period you can count on terciary flavors emerging and adding some complexity as the fruit’s forwardness diminishes a tad. The Cab should continue to evolve, change and intrigue cab lovers through 2017 or so. It’s built pretty sturdy. Hard to say on The Gypsy. It’s our first experience with this blend, but we know the Syrah component well. I’d be surprised if you were not happy with this wine 7 or 8 years down the road. But in the end it all depends what style of wine you like.

a baller move indeed. bravo!

What happened to the list price detail on the spec page?

I visited the tasting room in Glen Ellen just last weekend. Every wine my girlfriend and I tried, we loved! I believe Courtney helped us out and we had a great time!! I would absolutely recommend Mayo Wines fellow Wooters!!!

Thanks for the info on aging. Hmm, anyone want the GSM blend (not my favorite) if I go in?

More wine poured … talk nice about the Steelers. Talk nice about the Steelers … more wine poured. What a conundrum!!! :wink:

By the way, here’s the info on case production for these three wines. As with all wines we produce, they are fairly limited.

2009 Unti Vineyard Old Vine Zinfandel:
192 Cases

2009 GSM “The Gypsy”:
288 Cases

2007 “The Barnstormer” Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon:
381 Cases

Cheers…
Tom Wark

Welcome Tom. After all these years you’ve found us.

In addition to Tom’s highly respected work for wineries, Tom is a well known and award winning wine industry blogger Here’s his blog.

Very kind of you to notice, David. But actually, I’ve lurked here for some time, particularly for the Wooter commentary.

This time, however, it’s on behalf of my longest running client (Mayo Family Winery) and my best friend, Jeff Mayo.

The cool thing about Mayo Family Winery is the array of wines they produce in any given vintage. It’s remarkable. I don’t know how Michel Berthoud, the winemaker, does it. By the way, Berthoud was the winemaker at Arrowood during its golden years before Jeff stole him.

Ok…that’s it… Go back to wooting!

Wooting or working? :wink:

I may have to skip Mayo on Sat after D&D. There is no way I could bring myself to say a single positive thing about the steelers. Better not to ruin it for the whole group.

As a Ravens fan, I wonder how this would affect said heavy pour at your tasting room.

There is no penalty for not talking up the Steelers or for talking up another teem. However, we do favor both Steeler and Raider fans.

Now…back to wooting.

Ever made the observation that there are more female steelers fans than male steelers fans. Whenever I see the steelers bumper sticker or window decal it seems to have a woman driving it. Odd.

Can someone explain this.

Oh and sparky I like GSM’s so if you buy ill take it off your hands.

With regard to the question about residual sugar, the Cab and GSM are indeed dry.

I spoke with Jeffrey about the Zinfandel and it is in fact effectively dry. The 2008 vintage had noticeable RS…it was a very ripe vintage for us in the Unti vineyard.

So, there it is. Dry, Dry and dry.

Now, back to wooting.

Tom…

Done.

Perhaps women like “Men of Steel”?? :tongue:

Edit: Oh, and your cost for the “Gypsy” is shown in the How Good Is This Deal spreadsheet. :wink:

Women don’t know any better.