Medlock Ames 5 Year Library Merlot Vertical 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005

Hey people… I normally only show up when it’s our wine on the block (you might be seeing me again later today…), but I wanted to weigh in here.

Medlock Ames is run by some good people, and a close family friend is their oenologist. Just wanted to chime in and say two VERY important things:

1. Their wines are awesome. Coming from somebody who likes their wines relatively old-worldy in style, I can tell you that this wine most definitely has the bones to go.

2. STOP HATING ON MERLOT, PEOPLE. Merlot is not all soft sissy wines. Our best selling wine is a HAH-UUUUGE Merlot. Merlot can be every bit as big, ageworthy, and impressive as Cab. Yeah. I said it. Give this grape some respect. Assuming all Merlot is boring, and saying “I don’t like any Merlot”, just closes off a whole world of awesome wines to you.

A few notes: Petrus, arguably the most sought after wine in the world, is generally 75% or more Merlot. Cheval Blanc… the wine that was the prized bottle from Sideways, the very movie that started this hating-on-Merlot thing, is 40% Merlot!!!

You should check this offer out, if only because you will RARELY get the chance to taste a properly stored and assembled vertical from a winery with this much consistency at a reasonable price (vertical tastings from the Napa Cab places are always a fortune).

Just wanted to throw some props at Medlock Ames and possibly put a stop to some of the Merlot hating… Hope it helped!

I really like their Cab, got a 2003 & 2004 at home, looking forward to the Merlot.

It Did thanks
Just might place a 2nd order

I recently was fortunate to pick up 6 bottles of 2000 Robert Keenan Merlot Reserve Spring Mountain District. I’m typically more of a cab drinker, but I have to say that this was one of the best wines I’ve ever had, it really exceeded my expectations of aged merlot (drank much more like a cab!).

I bought some of the 2005 Medlock Ames Bell Mountain Red (red Bordeaux blend), and it was really good, albeit still a bit young. I suspect that the Medlock Ames juice is built to age, and this merlot may be a very nice deal for quality aged wine.

I’ll tell you what, those Ty Caton Upper Bench Merlots offered here a few months ago are very, very good. That coming from someone who thought he didn’t like Merlots.

I’m in for one…This will be a good party activity…“Here’s the wine…Name the year.” :slight_smile: Plus, it’s fun to see how it changes from one year to the next…

No