2 2005 Cabernet Sauvignon
CT links above

Winery website

Medlock Ames on Facebook
Medlock Ames on Yelp

Previous offer:
12/21/10

Cab vertical?! So tempting…

So which of these is these is the best year? Longest-lasting? Bomb of Napa or balanced delight?

This was the winery that offered the vertical that wasn’t a vertical, and now they’re back with a vertical. Confused?

Well, the price is right! ~$258 at CT average prices for this six-pack! Wish I had room, and experience with this winery, but the Esoterica buy already has me scrambling for space.

But one of these Cabs is horizontal… and therefore empty!

Bill from Medlock Ames wrote:

This offer included the 2004 Cab, which is the big alcohol one in the present offering (the pH is high for all 3).

Wow all three vintages were good, with 2003 being the least so, but at least it has a bit more bottle aging on its side.

Looks half-empty to me…(or is that half-full?).

Probably a toss up between 2004 and 2005. I would not discount the 2003 from putting up a good fight. This is a helluva deal.

Also worth a repost:

Tempting, but I’m going to pass on this one. I have a LOT of wine coming in between 3 club shipments, a case or so from lot18 and 2x the noceto deal. It’s going to take a big name that I know for sure to get my March wine purchase.

Sitting over 200+ bottles with my wine fridge full and wine in boxes, I can be picky. :slight_smile:

Crowning any of the three vintages might be more like splitting hairs. Maybe the winery can speak up with some insight on this one. wink wink nudge nudge.

The 2004 is a little more “Napa” in style. Bigger, riper, more alcohol. I feel that the 2003 & 2005 are more elegant, more in keeping with the style I like to make and drink. 2004 was a warmer growing season, though and it really comes through in the wine.

The pH is high. I find that the fruit (and for me that means the tannin) just isn’t ripe for our Cabernet until the pH gets above 3.7. Once the wine goes through ML the pH increases slightly more. I’ve been working on techniques in the vineyard to retain more acidity, but a cooler growing season is ideal for our vineyard.

Thank you! I’m still learning, but In CA acidulation is allowed, and often practised, although less-often admitted. (Ask Scott Harvey! ) Why is acidulation not an option? And so with these pH, what’s the maximum cellar age?

hmmm… tempting.

might wine.woot consider an in-home cellar-building series of woots? and maybe a credit counseling option? oooooh, there’s the big bucks idea, a “woot” cobranded credit card! (everyone remember it was my idea!!)

Guess I should have passed on yesterday’s woot offering! Ugh.

i have to pass for a while…bought a new car :frowning: