Meeker Sonoma County Petite Sirah - 3 Pack

What’s the drinking window on these? Will we have lab rats, since it’s Friday?

Petite Sirah is with an “i” in Sirah.The flavor is anything but petite, because the grape berry itself is petite. That gives it a higher skin to juice ratio so the gorgeous dark skins yield this big rich dark wine.
Syrah is a different critter, but it is also known as Shiraz in Australia and other places. If Petite Sirah v. Syrah and Shiraz don’t confuse you enough, think of Petit Verdot, which has no “e” in the Petit. I’ve seen that mispelled even on wine labels.

Petit Verdot comes from the Bordeaux area.

Petite Sirah - also called Durif - originates from Southern France.

Kachow! We can do this.

Petite Sirah is considered one of the two-four “core” Rhone grapes from a new world perspective, because it was originally discovered in the southern Rhone (a Syrah/Peloursin cross). That said, it’s not really used in France anymore (according to the webernets, I was still under the impression that it was used in some CdP wines). Syrah, Grenache, Carignane, Mourvedre, Cinsault being the main AOC approved varietals for SOUTHERN Rhone regions (though there are a buttload more). Northern Rhone regions are all Syrah or Syrah plus Marsanne/Roussane/Viognier only.

Petite Sirah is probably kind of “second fiddle” only to Syrah of this cadre of grapes, and it’s typically known for being the plummy, inky, peppery, hot climate structure-stud that it became famous for. It carries a lot of similar characteristics to CdP/southern Rhone wines, and I think to many it shows a very atypical new world character. It’s tendency to exhibit non-red fruit character in tandem with a predominance of pepper/spice/earth/fennel type character that is really a nice change of pace if you drink a lot of California wine. But, just like every other varietal, it’s become more stylistically varied with more people making it in the past 10 years.

Drinking window is now-5 years out. These wines will age very well, but my personal opinion is that our Petite Sirahs should be opened when they’re still going to show some fruit but also mute the pepperiness that can be a touch too dominant for my taste when the wines are young.

Hope this helps!

Nothing makes me throw the rage fist in the air more than misspelled varietals. It’s like, really? You didn’t have time to Google it? Difference is feminine/masculine construction.

I appreciate the input from Petitesirah, andyp53 and bud8jr for the correct spelling. I have corrected my original post and apologize profusely. Will not make this mistake again with the spelling.

And to think, I did win a spelling contest as a kid…

To clarify… misspelling varietals on labels makes me mad, wineries should know better. From a customer perspective, you can spell it however you want! As long as the way you pronounce it is close enough, then you’re still getting the same wine :).

I got a blue ribbon for the fastest crawler!

In for two.

Just seems when it’s a PS or a Cab Franc, it’s an auto-buy with me…

Alright folks, to bed with me. At the winery at 7:30, and I’ll be back to harass you all then as well. Need to get some rest before my weekend off!

The recently offered Forklift Grenache was fantastic.

http://www.grandwinecellar.com/labels/B7517.png

Georges Duboeuf Beaujolais Nouveau 2011,less than $10 a bottle yet better than anything ever made in cali.Perfect balance that in impossible for any cali vintners to achieve.

I just bought 2 Silver Oaks and this wouldn’t sting as bad as just one of those… PM sent btw.

I can’t see buying any Silver Oak past ~1996. They just lost the magic when they went “big time”

Still debating on the Meeker. I’m a big petite sirah fan but really prefer the big, huge tannin bombs that need a smoked tri tip or BBQ leg of lamb to enjoy.

2011 huh? You like em young, don’t you

Is this really going to arrive by Christmas?? Oh … who cares. Like I won’t need good wine after the holidays!!

I’ve only seen the Meeker Handprint Merlot, and we picked one up about 7 years ago. To be honest, the bottle is so nice, my GF won’t let us drink it. In for this deal so I can finally taste a Meeker.

(My Handprint is a 2004, did we miss the drinking window for this vintage?)

You, Sir, are seriously in need of wine counseling.

We opened our last bottle of 2004 Handprint (signed by Kelly Meeker!) in August, and it was still showing well. If it was stored properly, it should still be enjoyable!

He’d better like 'em young, Beaujolais Nouveau are only drinkable, if you can even call them that, for a couple of months after release. They are a ‘party’ wine that gets rid of extra low-quality juice that was still hanging grapes a month or two before it is sold.