Mercer Genesis 6-Piece Forged Knife Block Set

The “regular price” on this item is bogus! I love the knife set and it’s listed at a good price, but they are usually $150 not $370.

I am a certified chef with over 30 years of experience, so I know what a taper ground blade is. I received these knives today. They are referred to as Taper Ground, and they are not the cutting edge is beveled, not taper ground. I purchased these knives because taper ground knives are hard to find and very expensive. All of that being said, they are still a good deal for what they are. I will give these knives to a young professional working in my kitchen. They are a perfect starter set for a young professional, and that is all they are. Here is a description of what taper ground actually means.
Taper ground is one solid angle from the spine of the knife to the edge of the blade, there is no beveled edge that is ground at a sharper angle. Taper ground blades are much sharper, and stay much sharper. They are also a lot harder to sharpen as you have to sharpen the entire blade, rather than just the edge. Think of an old fashioned straight razor, and you will understand what I mean.
Save

Rate & Review

Email

Print

The blade of a knife that decreases in size from the handle to the tip and from the top or spine of the knife to the bottom or cutting edge of the blade. The blade is manufactured from a single sheet of metal and has been ground on one side or two sides of the surface so that it tapers smoothly from the spine to the cutting edge without creating a bevel. Often referred to as a fully tapered blade when ground from top to bottom, the taper grind can also be produced as a partially tapered grind that starts midway down the blade and extends to the cutting surface, becoming more like a flat grind or flat ground blade. Unlike the hollow ground blade that has a either a beveled or fluted edge, the Taper Ground Blade is a more stable knife blade due to the rigid structure of a finely tapered, single sheet of metal. Thus, the Taper Ground Blade is made to withstand more cutting action as it cuts cleanly through a variety of foods and food textures when slicing or chopping.
Save

Rate & Review

Email

Print