Merry Pet Habitat Chicken Coop

Reviews over at Overstock

Make sure you read the dimensions as they are not as big as that coop appears in the picture.

Solid reviews (3.9 put of 5.0) over at wayfair.com

Hey, an actual Chicken coop with 2 doors.
If it had any more it would have to be called a chicken sedan.

If you get this, be sure to keep it where nothing can dig underneath- or else be sure to lay some fencing below ground.

Oh, and THIS http://amzn.com/B00004RAMT might help. Raccoons are vicious!

I’ve been looking for a place to put my cock. That rooster needs a good home…

BE SURE TO check your town/city’s ordinances before starting a small flock. Municipalities are easing restrictions in some areas, but hens are considered ‘farm animals’ in most places and zoning can limit what you can and can’t own.

We didn’t check first, and had to apply to the town for a variance to keep our small flock of 10 hens and it wasn’t cheap. We got the variance for the property and we have a great time with ‘the girls’. Eggs to the local food pantry and a regular parade of little neighborhood kids who want to come feed them grass and clover.

They’re great to have, but check the law first.

Predators are relentless. Everything eats chicken, including the family dog.
Raccoons have been known to push up on the floor of the nest box to get at the chickens; make sure it is firmly attached. Use locking latches – not those little sliding things on this model – on the openings to deter clever raccoon paws. Think Fort Knox and you won’t be far off.

Chickens occupy a weird space between livestock and pet. Be sure you are prepared to treat or put down the chicken yourself if you are unwilling to pay full price for services from an avian vet.

If you’ve never had chickens before, please read up on them first. They’re not complicated, but they can be surprisingly delicate, and have a different operating manual than dogs, cats, rabbits, and other typical household animals.
That said, chickens can be surprisingly amusing and even somewhat affectionate.

My mom’s chickens are so spoiled. They run up to her and each one has to be picked up and petted or they “act out”.

I can’r imagine 4 hens living in this. Sleeping, laying, sure. We have 4 in a 4’x 8’ movable chicken tractor and that is barely enough room for them.

This is DEFINITELY not remotely large enough for 4 hens unless one is planning on allowing them to free-range (which can easily shorten their lifespans predator-wise). You might get away with 2 standard-size (large) birds OR 4 bantams (small). As others have already said - do your chicken-raising research first before diving in. Lots of good books & online sites (like www.backyardchickens.com) out there to help you.

First off - way too small for 4 chickens. Second, we had something similar as a breeding coop, which worked for about a month or two until the bear took it out and killed everybody in it. Might be good for a city setting (providing local ordinances allow it), but not too good for a rural setting.

I live in an apartment and yet I want this.

I bought a similar model like this on Woot about a year ago. It feels like the balsam wood from the airplanes I would buy in little packages when I was young. Breaks VERY easily, and I have had to rely on duct tape until I can afford to purchase a quality coop next spring. And yes, they are a lot smaller than they appear. We have two hens, and I would not dare add another as it is pretty darn cozy in there.

You know what else is in a chicken coop, other than chickens?

I live in a 380 sq ft space… hmm, must resist desire to share studio with hens.

Oh my Lord, Jesus, that is the funniest picture ever…the chicken is like: WHATCHOO TALKING 'BOUT??!

Would go for $2,500 a month here in San Francisco.