Metrokane V1: The World’s First Vacuum Decanter

Metrokane V1: The World’s First Vacuum Decanter
$38.99 + $5 shipping
CONDITION: New
PRODUCT: 1 Metrokane V1 Vacuum Decanter

Product website

I bought one of these on another site several years ago. It is pretty good actually. I had my doubts butit really works and keeps the wine fresh. Decent price here too.

Read the box too fast and saw “Vacuum-preserves your urine right in the decanter”

Mixed reviews and $67.49 at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Metrokane-Worlds-First-Vacuum-Decanter/product-reviews/B000I7VJZK/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Edit: Curse you, wine.woot! Not even an hour after I said my wine pantry was full and I wouldn’t be buying anything here for a while…

in for 1, sounds like it works, though the instructions aren’t very clear

Does this come with a cleaning brush? I cannot get my hand into these and salt water is only slightly better than a good rinse.

(D)rat, in for one.

lassow, when I need to clean something like this I find that filling it with warm water and dropping in a denture cleaning tablet works wonders. No, I don’t have dentures. I keep the cleaner around just for cleaning in tight spaces.

Good call. I’ve used those tablets on various other things like mouth guards and CamelBak bladders. Somehow they are really easy to forget about in relation to wine stuffs.

To clean my decanter, I use one of the bottle brushes from my daughter’s stock, lol It really works though!

one may also clean with rubbing alcohol and salt as the salt doesn’t dissolve in the alcohol so it can act as an abrasive. Additionally, alcohol is a great solvent for any residues or tannins left in the bottom.

Vacuum in a device meant to aerate?! Madness!

This hefty guy weighs in at 3.6 lbs; a good pound and a half (or more) heavier than other options out there. This sounds great if you want something durable that your (lightweight) guests will have a hard time knocking over or breaking!
In for one.

EDIT: Grammatical issues. I do not guarantee that I caught them all.

So, this may sound like a dumb question. But my question regards other flavor items such as coffee. I am curious if one could use this to preserve flavor with an opened back of coffee. My quandry is as follows

(A) with wine the oxidizing of the grapes is partially what brings out the flavor when it is being served. So, removal of the oxygen could help preserve the reaction (and eventual loss of flavor) that occurs in the oxidizing. but

(B) It is my understanding that aroma essentially escapes from a coffee bean while the bean itself dries out (I am assuming that last part). Removal of that air in a vacuum might limit the amount being drawn out by a continual flow of air in an open jar. But - if it is with coffee - how would that jar being closed be any different from removing the air first (in the vacuum). Or: are we removing the air first, before aroma and moisture can esacape, and thereby limiting the saturation that can take place due to an instant limited space to dissolve into the air

In short.

Can this work for coffee?

i really wish your copywriters would tone down the “creative writing” when describing your products…it is very distracting and cumbersome to read…the lame prose gets in the way…the product should be the hero, not the copywriting…i might have purchased the vacuum decanter if I had enough endurance to read about it…sometimes you can try to hard to be hip and entertaining…think simple and concise…too many times writers write for themselves (or their portfolios) and not for the reader…please feel free to share this post with your managers…thank you

Is everything dishwasher safe?

Doesn’t the wine evaporate in the vacuum? According to this book Outgassing Data EVERYTHING evaporates in a vacuum including a lot of solid things that you think would not. I would have to believe that this thing would first pull any dissolved air out of the wine, removing flavor, then slowly remove the alcohol, then finally if you keep the vacuum going it would turn whatever was left into gas. Nope, I would rather store liquids under pressure with dry nitrogen. I think that if your going to use this thing you might as well open the wine bottle and heat it up so that some evaporates because subjecting it to vacuum is pretty much the same thing, maybe with just a little less oxidation.

Sorry to go so technical, but vacuum is my thing.

Plus you can place a marshmallow in it and watch it expand!

Can it remove pesky pet hair from furniture?

I think everything evaporates in a vacuum because the boiling point is lowered due to the lack of pressure? That’s why doing the opposite, pressurizing gases (such as propane), can force them into a liquid state.

It’s all in a closed loop though, that wine isn’t evaporating and magically passing through the glass and leaving the decanter. Once it’s back to atmospheric pressure it’ll just condense, although I highly doubt your ambient room temperature will make very much of it evaporate in the first place.

As for losing taste - just swirl it around to bring some air back in, that’s half of what a decanter is for!

It can work for coffee beans. Once they’re ground the coffee beans will release co2, so don’t put it in a sealed container after you grind it. You’re right in your assumption that removing the air first so the aroma and moisture have no place to go is what is the point of vacuum sealing coffee. Although this isn’t exactly the cheapest or most efficient way to vacuum seal things, the format is pretty much designed for liquids. I’d suggest finding something else for your coffee.

I suppose a miniscule amount of wine would evaporate, but it is still confined within the glass. Just because it evaporates, doesn’t mean it just disappears; that would only be the case if the wine was stored in the infinite vacuum of space.
Besides, once the air space in the decanter is saturated with wine particles, none more would even be able to evaporate without forcing some of the particles back into a liquid state.