Metrokane V1: The World’s First Vacuum Decanter

“Wine experts agree: … But until now, wine left in the decanter had to be funneled back into the bottle to prevent spoilage.”

How would pouring wine back into the original bottle prevent spoilage? The wine bottle is just a glass container, same as a regular decanter is just a glass container.

Or was that part of the product description just supposed to be funny?

Are you joking?
That is the only reason I keep coming back to this site is to read their descriptions, then if they are selling something I want, I get it.
Also, me being a manly man, I can’t recommend shopping sites to my other manly man friends. So this way I can share this site and tell them it’s just for the funny write-ups.

If you don’t want to read the funny stuff, just scroll down to the bottom where the product details are.

They are leaving out the part about using a vacuum on the bottle. Those are common where as one for a decanter does not seem to be.

[QUOTE=gds, post:21, topic:325197]
“Wine experts agree: … But until now, wine left in the decanter had to be funneled back into the bottle to prevent spoilage.”

How would pouring wine back into the original bottle prevent spoilage?

Smaller surface area exposed to oxygen. The larger area of the decanter speeds oxidation.

My question would be “what do you do with the sealed decanter until the next time you want to drink it?” If you pour it back into the bottle and then vacuum seal the bottle you can put the bottle back into a wine fridge. The decanter won’t fit in a rack, so you are left with leaving your wine at room temp. Not sure of the value of this product. Why not just buy a bottle vacuum (which is what I do).

Use a baby bottle cleaner.

Here’s an oldie, but a goodie:

Is it Kosher?

Kewpie

For me, a tab of denture cleaner works great for these kinds of things. I pray that I won’t be needing to use denture cleaner in any other fashion for a few years to come.

Oh, now that would be cool!

The description says it had an “East-to-read gauge tells you when you have pumped the right vacuum”

Would be in for one if it was a west-to-read gauge.

Then it would no longer be a vacuum now would it, it would be a space filled with wine that was turned to gas, so if you wanted a vacuum again you would have to pump it down again thus purging out your wine gas. This is a cycle that would slowly remove all the wine as gas.

What else do you use this method for? X

What is this leftover wine thing that you speak of?

The pet fur is not kosher; all glass items can be kashered and vacuum pressure isn’t a problem on Shabbos (unless you are machmir about uvdah d’chol). Hope this helps!

I bought one of these a couple of years ago. I don’t remember where I bought it (here?), but mine also came with an aerating filter-funnel kind of thingy which works quite nicely. I paid $40 or thereabouts and think it was well worth it. The pump actually does work and I’ve kept red wine in this thing for three or four days and it was still good. Actually it is usually much better on the second and third day than the first. Side note: I decant virtually every red wine I open - it always tastes better to me…

You mean you actually have problems with wine sitting in a decanter long enough to spoil? I can’t say personally that I’ve experienced that problem.

Hm, a Dyson decanter. Or maybe we can just drink more wine and forget that there’s pet hair on the furniture!

These Vacuum stops are great for white wine but as far as red goes I’ve tried every single technique to preserve it including this company’s bottle seals and it still tastes horrible to me even after 12 hours.

Maybe I’m just that damn picky about my Red wines.

As far as cleaning goes, I would recommend PBW ( PBW - Powdered Brewery Wash ). It works quite well for this sort of thing, and rinses completely clean with hot water. There also are cheaper alternatives (Straight-A, B-Brite, etc) if you look around. They are all alkaline cleaners that are safe and easy to use.

As far as cleaning brushes go, there are many suitable brushes made for cleaning homebrew equipment that would work quite well. Here’s a cheap one: http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/wine-bottle-brush.html

Any of this stuff can be found at any homebrew store. If you live in a large city, you probably have one near you.