Micro Intelli RC UFO - 2 Pack

Wootalyzer’s Pricing Post! - The price of today’s woot item is saved here for future reference

Micro Intelli RC UFO - 2 Pack
$19.99 + $5 Shipping
Condition: New

Product List:

• 2 Micro Intelli RC UFO

DISCLAIMER Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

Any intel on these? Are they fun?

Not sure if this is the same thing, but it looks like it might be. 3.5 stars on Buzzillions.
http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/ufo-electric-mini-rc-helicopter-pack-2-reviews

so, like those helicopters i bought before, but only ball-shaped. um… ok
the choppers were cool in concept but pretty much impossible to fly reliably. can’t recommend.

Er, would the two transmitters and receivers be on different frequencies such that two could fly at the same time? If not, this would be an interesting choice for a two-pack.

In for 2!

do they only go up and down?

Cool video of it.

Here it is at Amazon…they’re normally 19.99 for one…woot comes through again with a great price!

$14.95 (plus S&H) or more each at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=intelli+ufo&tag=googhydr-20&index=toys-and-games&hvadid=4560631437&ref=pd_sl_42xyp8j2w_b

these things are great cat toys

How well do these fly outdoors? I had some of those “popularly seen on TV” helicopters. They don’t work outdoors due to interference.

Apparently there are 3 channels to choose from on the remote control!

Fun Toy!

Yikes!!! I’m worried- the blades aren’t strong enough to cutoff a finger, are they?

How can you replace the blades if they break? My friend had one and the blades broke.

These look like two channel er, copters, so pretty much. You should also be able to rotate them left and right, but not actually do controlled turns. Good for practicing taking off and landing before trying a real RC copter, I suppose, or for mesmerizing the cats.

Check out the youtube video, looks pretty cool!

I guess I won’t be getting it for my Grandpa, he just turned 89.

No, the controllers and flyers are paired to be unique, but it is possible to use a controller to block out someone BY DELIBERATELY SETTING IDENTICAL CODES.

Let me explain. Though it’s just a guess with out reading the specs. There are multiple way of keying the control signals, so they are unique. It’s hard to know which method of device pairing is used.

In the distant --ANALOG-- past, controllers and RC devices had paired crystals. They wee expensive and sensitive to temperature, voltage and circuit variations. You made sure you had a matched pair, one Tx controller worked one RC (Rx) device. In complex machines, you might use 2-3-4 separate channels and crystals. Each channel controlled a function, like blade pitch, rotor speed or rudder function. The more features, the more channels needed. Some fancy RC devices wee 12 channel. Think of the cost and weight of 24 precision cut crystals.

You took care not to share channels with fellow enthusiasts because of interference. There were about 100 channels in the approved RC band but quality control meant everyone was off frequency and depended on tweaking the transmitter to get best results. The crystals were just an approximate guide at that point. Often you’d have dozens of RC devices operating without interference.

In newer devices, they got rid of expensive crystals and used PLL or Phase Locked Loops to generate precise, but tunable carrier frequencies in the Transmitter (Tx) and overlay the command (8 bit digital code) signal using either FM or simpler PCM (Frequency Modulation or Pulse Width Coded Modulation) in the Mixer to encode DIGITAL SIGNALS.

PLLs were also used to extract the command signal in the receiver (Rx). You’d tune the PLL’s to a center frequency, then add the digital signal to that, giving much greater channel density.

Once they went digital, there were several ways to inject a unique channel signature into the signal, blocking interference. One used a low frequency signal tone to activate a “gate” or squelch circuit. Others used an encoded digital key as a header or preamble. Garage door controllers use the same concept.

In some cases the code was a 5-8 bit digital code was set on switches in the Rx and Tx devices. That allows 32 to 255 unique channels per frequency. They added that number into the signal stream header and only matching devices would respond to the subsequent included digital command. Newer RC controllers include a 10-bit signal giving about 1024 channels per fixed frequency.

Digital controllers are cheaper, more flexible and almost ubiquitous these days.

At the factory, each copter and controller are matched, but you should be able to reset the code, in case you do end up having two randomly matched devices on the same channel.

As cheap as these are, I suspect the channel selector is limited, but each copter uses several channels. One for up-down, one for Right-Left.

Does that make sense?
If not, RTM? !!

See … my HAM license pays off .