Micron M600 1TB SATA SSD Black

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3]

Micron M600 1TB SATA SSD Black
Price: $189.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 Business Days. (Friday, Oct 14 to Wednesday, Oct 19) + transit
Condition: Refurbished

[http://www.wootstalker.com/images/buy.png

Buy It](Micron M600 1TB SATA SSD 2.5" Black) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/amazon.png

Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=Micron M600 1TB SATA SSD Black) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/google.png

Search Google](Micron - Google Shopping M600 1TB SATA SSD Black)

This seems to not be the fastest drive in town. From one review:

Only a 90-day warranty and it’s not by the manufacturer? I’m hesitant …

The M600 Series of SSDs are Micron’s latest addition to portfolio of solid state drives specifically designed for enterprise client computing with a focus on low power consumption and reliability. The M600 uses Micron’s 16nm process technology–their most advanced Flash technology–and is equipped with a Marvell 9189 controller and features like encryption and dynamic write acceleration. The drives are offered in a variety of form factors to meet the needs of system builders, OEMs, upgraders and the like.

Considered reliable drives overall, the last few releases of Micron flagship M-series SSDs haven’t shown the level of improvement expected in today’s market, especially compared to leading vendor offerings. The M600 was generally underwhelming compared to the other current-generation SSDs of the same class in most of our tested categories. Ultimately the M600 SSD posted results all over the board in the two different capacities we reviewed. The 256GB model performed its best during the 2MB sequential performance benchmarks ranking right at the top of the leaderboard, though its higher capacity model was right at the bottom. The 256GB capacity was also the top performer in our gaming profile workload, which was a bit of a surprise given the rest of the scores. However, most of the other benchmarks showed underwhelming results, particularly in our mixed-workloads where both capacities placed toward the bottom in these tests.

Micron has indicated that the main draw for their new M600 drive is its new features as well as an expanded form factor portfolio for the thin and light computing space, enhanced endurance and variants for SED and Non-SED. Those features are definitely a plus and Micron heritage will win them deployments for sure. At the end of the day though the drive will probably need to win on price as the heralded write acceleration technology, firmware and new NAND didn’t show very well in our benchmarks.

Pros

Offered in a variety of capacities and form factors
Low power consumption
Strong gaming performance (256GB capacity)
Cons

Inconsistent performance results, poor mixed-workloads
Underwhelming performance compared to current-generation competition
Bottom Line

The Micron M600 offers new features and a history of excellent support and build quality from Micron. The drive itself though doesn’t stand out from the crowd though and probably needs a significant price advantage to win in the mainstream SSD class.

Reliability wise as a laptop/desktop drive is OK.

16nm NAND chip is a bad idea for write intensive server workload (which this drive is not designed for).

Pricing is OK, brand new 1TB would cost around 250 bucks.

$20 more gets you a SanDisk Ultra II 960GB which is faster and has 1005 more days of warranty.

Not even close to fastest, the SATA3 6.0 Gbps interface is a limiting factor in new-ish computers now (PCI Express SSDs by and large will smoke SATA SSDs). The following is a sequential read of an entire 24 GiB partition on a Plextor 128GB M6e PCI-E SSD, a three-year old design that only uses PCI-E 2.0 speeds:

dd if=/dev/ada0p2 of=/dev/null bs=1048576

24576+0 records in
24576+0 records out
25769803776 bytes transferred in 36.666424 secs (702817481 bytes/sec)

The new M8Pe drives from Plextor use PCI-E 3.0 speeds and are rated for sequential read of 2500 MBps and sequential write of 1400 MBps.

(And yes, they cost 3x what this woot deal does, but they’re new, never written devices - refurb SSDs, or refurb storage of any kind, can be a total crapshoot).

So if you really want speed (and have the spare PCI-E 3.0 x4 slots) avoid SATA SSDs altogether and go with PCI-E.

How do you refurb something like this?

Yank bad chips and solder in new ones?

I think a Hard Drive is the last thing I would want to buy refurbished next to maybe a pacemaker.

Refurbished doesn’t alway mean it’s a used product.

The key word is “always”…how do you know whether or not you’re getting a used one…that’s the problem. As has been stated, buying a refurbished, used hard drive is problematical.

>“2.5 inch × 7mm form factor”

Seems to me this should be near the top or even in the title (at least the 2.5" part) instead of buried at the bottom of the specs. Knowing whether it’s a 2.5" or 3.5" drive is critical for people shopping.

It’s an SSD. They don’t really make them in 3.5, and it’s obvious from the photo that it doesn’t use an M.2 or mSATA form factor.

I used to be an engineer at a chip company and usually refurbished product sold at the company store is better than off the production line new products because refurbished are, at least where I worked, 100% tested and inspected where new products were quality controlled by statistical process control using sampling to determine what is 100% inspected. All the things I bought I preferred to buy from the company store if I could and items bought in the 80s still work today.

But if it refurbished and sold by the manufacturer, it probably had better than just a 90 day warranty…

Updated. 2.5" is correct.