Microsoft 13" i7 256GB Surface Laptop 2 (NEW)

Microsoft 13" i7 256GB Surface Laptop 2 (NEW)

Wasn’t going to buy one, but was looking at it - I had a full size keyboard with the Euro-style Enter key once - I think I picked it up cheap at Circuit City if that tells you how long ago it was. Anyhoo, I tried it and very quickly realized how much I dislike that placement. I am used to moving my pinky over just far enough to hit the wide Enter key - so I always hit that extra key in there. And, I also use the vertical bar (a.k.a. pipe in command-line) and backslash (or is that the forward slash?) enough that I was routinely hitting the enter key when I meant to hit one of those.

Man, weird to think about the fact that Circuit City started CarMax - the pushy sales tactics at CC were so different than the nonchalant experience I’ve felt from CarMax.

If I were to add one character to the US keyboard, it would be the degree symbol °, since that’s the only character I’ve needed enough to memorize the alt code (hold alt and type 248 on number pad then release to get it). But I would not sacrifice the wide Enter key to get it.

2 Likes

Compare and contrast this Woot Microsoft 8th gen i7 cpu with neutered keyboard to the Costco Dell 2-in-1 currently at the same $700 price with the latest 11th gen i7 cpu, twice the storage at 512GB and a normal keyboard layout.

1 Like

woohoo for a costco membership.

I went to costco last night to do a basic compare and I was thinking this was a good deal until I finally focused on the fact that this is version 2 and they’re currently on version 4

I spend 8 hours a day this laptop (but mine has 16GB RAM). It’s a solid laptop, I’d recommend.

1 Like

I’m giving one a whirl. My biggest hangup was not having a USB C port so I could easily charge from a portable battery on the go. I use an OmniCharge 20+ portable battery with a USB C cable and a DC cable to allow me to juice up any of the following on the go:

Dell Latitude work laptop (via DC port)
Razer Stealth 13 laptop (via USB C)
Lenovo Duet tablet (via USB C)
Google Pixelbook (via USB C)
Google Pixel 5 phone (via USB C or wireless charging)
Samsung Galaxy Active 2 watch (via wireless charging)

And while the Omni 20+ also has a standard 120v AC plug on it, I don’t like carrying the additional AC chargers for any of the above if I can help it ( but it’s still an option with this very versatile battery).

I was digging around on Amazon and found a Surface Connector to USB C adapter for around $20 US so now I’m all set. Juiced Systems also makes a nice Cruzhub port expansion that plugs into all the ports on the left side and breaks them out into gig Ethernet, 2x USB 3, full size HDMI, SD Card, micro SD Card, and 3.5mm audio ports for around $69 US.

Thanx,
CK

1 Like

Does anyone know which Windows 10 keyboard setting matches the physical layout? I’ve used English US, English US-International, and English US-Canada Multilingual. I still can’t match the Shift symbols on the top row number keys yet.

Thanx,
CK

I’m not finding much but this:

How to Fix Keyboard Typing Wrong Characters in Windows 10