Has anyone tried loading a desktop Linux onto it? Ubuntu, maybe?
Linux? Ubuntu? What is this 2002? I feel old now. Thanks a lot.
locked to AT&T boooo
I have one of these (got it last year).
The things that irk me:
- No Qi/Wireless charging. You have to use a USB-C cable to charge.
- Only one camera. Sure, you can flip the phone around to use it pointed away from you, but its also not great at always getting the app to show up on the right screen.
- It also has a weird ‘sleep’ issue - if you use the companion Your Phone app or a Fitbit or similar, you WILL NOT get notifications right away sometimes on those endpoints. Then when you wake the phone? they flood in. Its annoying. The only notifications I get immediately are phone calls. Texts, emails, anything else? Gotta wake it up first.
- The only other issue I have with it is a weird drawing/overlay issue. When you open an app group, it doesn’t always blur/grey the background and it looks hideous.
- And not all apps are dual-screen friendly. Most seem to work okay though.
As for it being locked, since this isn’t a financed phone, you should be able to get it unlocked for free. The last time I got a phone from woot that was locked, it just took a call to, in that case, T-mobile, to get it unlocked for free.
Android’s Linux too, y’know.
I wish I could buy this thing just for the novelty of it all. But I have an LG G8 that I bought for $200 that has the same SD855, 6GB RAM, 128GB storage. Can’t justify plunking down $400 more just for another screen, but I wish I could!
Thats exactly what it is, get terminal emulator and have at it.
Android, not Windows?
I bought one from Microsoft when it first came out.
I was nice , great ‘phone’ but as a “mini tablet”…
It was too buggy, , no QI, HAD to open the phone to take a picture
It was NOT ready for prime time…
I sent it back for a refund.
maybe the Duo II will better when it is release later this year.
Uh… Duo is English for two.
I just saw this at a store that has the best buys for double the price. The security device holding it literally cracked the screen. It looks fragile AF. That these are selling half price on Woot after an August 2020 release says a lot.
It only took until halfway through before i saw what you did there. It only took until halfway through before i saw what you did there.
I really like my Surface Duo, but I would have liked it a lot more at $500 less than I paid for it.
I see that it’s locked to AT&T. If I buy it can I immediately unlock it?
CNET had an uncomplimentary review of a prerelease
unit. Basically, the unit (and Android on a dual screen)
aren’t ready for prime time.
- no support for removable media. Microsoft should
have included a microSD card slot.
- Google doesn’t have a version of Android for dual
screen. The CNET review includes a video describing
the problems this poses. For this reason alone you can
see why this item has reached Woot.
- The product looks a lot more fragile than the Samsung
dual screen devices.
I use a Surface Duo as my everyday carry phone. Great business tool due to its native support for all things Microsoft (One Note, Outlook, Excel, Power BI) which my company utilizes extensively. Behind it all, of course, it’s an Android with full support for the Google Play Store. I have not experienced any app compatibility issues which is a bonus I wasn’t expecting. As an early adopter of a Gen 1 product, it’s fair to say that there are some occasional bugs that need to be sorted through, but Microsoft has done an admiral job of offering regular monthly updates. I think it’s a tremendous bargain at the offered price, and am super excited to see what Gen 2 offers.
Disappointed it’s locked. I mean once it’s been bought I could call att to get it unlocked. since it’s paid in full but still it’s a burden to have to do all of that. I will wait till apple comes out with a dual screen.
This price is actually, $100 cheaper than MS employees can buy it at their company store. That rather surprised me. That would usually indicate that these are refurbished but I don’t see that anywhere.
It’s just a fire sale for a product that’s not selling because it’s a PoS. Even as half list price it’s not worth it. Going on I would not expect it to be supported so it’s a lot of money to put down on a joke