Alrighty, time for another update. I just got off the phone with the MS rep handling the case and I have good news and bad news. Some of you may have already spoken to the rep and know this as well.
The good news is that because enough of you also called in and had cases opened up, they have one large investigation going on to figure out the cause of this etc. (because apparently they don’t even know haha) Also good job to those that called in, and thank you!! However, even though they have one master ticket/investigation for tracking everyone, they are still working the cases separately as well. The reason for this is apparently they also need an AT&T case # for each user so they can work with AT&T on getting each device unlocked individually. This sounds like a really slow and panful way to do this, but hey at least they are doing something which is good.
Now the bad part. They are saying it maybe a week or more to work out this issue, however, they can’t guarantee that they will even get the unlock codes at the end of that. So those of us that are nearing the end of our return window, will have to make a decision to wait it out or not. Me myself, I’m not entirely sure what I’m doing yet either, but that’s my decision, and you guys have your own to make.
I also asked what anyone else who is either waiting on our response or hasn’t done anything yet should do. And they said that at the least, you should call AT&T and get a case # with them, I think even the case # from the failed website unlock will do. Then you will need to call MS and get a case opened with MS and give them the AT&T case #. You should only need to tell them that there is already an investigation open for this issue, and you just want to add your name to the list, but if not, all my previous posts should have all the information you will need. This could change in the future, or it could be the way it needs to get done, who knows. But starting this process certainly wouldn’t hurt, and at the least would put you ahead of those that haven’t yet if this does end up working.
As always I’ll update again when I have more information.