Microsoft Surface Duo Dual-Screen LTE Tablets

Design enhancement:

It should open and one screen should twist so when closed it can still be used without having to flip it open when you use it as a phone.

If you are planning on Unlocking to another network. Donā€™t buy! ATT does not have the Unlock codes anymore or Microsoft is not supplying them. My buddy tried and failed to unlock through ATT. After going through some forums. Microsoft stopped supplying the unlock codes to ATT as of Feb this year.

2 Likes

Same size unfoldable screen that is thinner but fits in case vs. one that folds but does not fit in a pocket and still needs to be trundled in a case. Seems very niche. Does anyone have a optimal use for this device? Killer app?

1 Like

I was considering one as a around the house or travel tablet with a data only sim. Without doing real spec research, it seems to have better specs than most android tablets and is cheaper than Samsungā€™s latest flagship tablet. Only thing keeping me from doing the spec research is the carrier lock.

1 Like

not worth it for 6hrs battery life. Full charge will go maximum 6 hours, especially once you start using it very often, minimal background app usage, 88% lasts 3hrs and 10 minutes. its got 3000mah battery, for dual screen.

1 Like

They were locked before as well. You should be able to get it unlocked.

1 Like

Be sure to read the previous thread. Theyā€™re not having much luck getting them unlocked. Our vendor isnā€™t having any luck either.

3 Likes

You can. If you fold over the screen so that both screens are facing outward with their backs touching, only the top screen remains active and it becomes a fat, wide one-screen phone.

1 Like

With iPads starting at $300 the reasoning escapes me.

2 Likes

MS & AT&T need to get this resolved before there is a flood of returned devices, plus not providing unlock codes isnā€™t legal - they are supposed to. I have a support ticket open with MS on getting these unlocked that I opened on 5/20. If and when I have a status update, I will pass it along.

3 Likes

FYI per ad each screen is 1800x1350 (4:3), 401 PPI
Dual Displays opened to form 8.1ā€ 2700x1800 (3:2), still 401 PPI

The Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 is speedy with Antutu 410,00-450,000 range. So you are right if that is your primarily sought after spec. And locked for AT&T seems unfortunate indeed.

For others as a comparison, the iPhone 11 (I do not have) has a similar Antutu rating. It has no where near the graphics size of this device but the question is what is the purpose of the device. If I want a tablet, I think I want at least 8.9" If I want a notebook, 15.6". But a cell enabled device, probably pocket-able as a Every day and everywhere carry.

3 Likes

The FCC page on phone unlocking points to the Cellular Telecommunications Industry Allianceā€™s (CTIA) voluntary standards that they will unlock paid for equipment. Not sure if thereā€™s an official govā€™t regulation or law that mandates this. Iirc, back in 2014 the CTIA adopted these guidelines in response to the FCC threatening to impose binding regulations from outside.

Edit:

1 Like

Yup, and I can honestly say AT&T support is really bad. Over a period of 3 days I spoke to ~20 different support people. Only 3 were nice. The rest either hung up on me, were rude, or very clueless about the fact that I wasnā€™t an AT&T customer. And I got soo many different conflicting answers that I had to get my case escalated up very high just to get a clear answer from them.

1 Like

Oof, now that takes me back; I bought one of those from Woot way back in the day, and Iā€™d forgotten about it until now. It did work, mostly, but the old hardware and OS version (thatā€™s Honeycomb, Android 3!!) eventually made it obsolete and I ended up giving it to a co-worker for his kids.

3 Likes

How about this if we canā€™t unlock it. Itā€™s Comes with a one-year warranty. Why not get Microsoft to switch it out for another one since itā€™s defective and not working. Sounds like a warranty issues to me.

So that option wonā€™t work. Thereā€™s already a case open where a guy had one that he got unlocked last year, sent it in for warranty replacement, and they sent back a locked one. And now they canā€™t get it unlocked due to the current issue.

Basically, warranty replacements are replaced for the same carrier devices. ie still locked

2 Likes

Finally following up on this one:
I got my unlock code today.
MS is working to resolve the issue with AT&T directly, but if you try today and still unable to get the code, submit a support request to Microsoft and they can help you out.

Yay! Mine is now unlocked! Makes my day!

Seriously, you arenā€™t trolling? MS actually came through and you got an unlock code?

As a Sony, itā€™s also abandonware. If they donā€™t sell a million units, they drop it like it bit 'em. No support.

1 Like

My phone has been unlocked