Microsoft Surface Duo Dual-Screen LTE Tablets

Easily unlocked via the ATT prepaid department This is an amazing price for an incredible phone. Unfortunately, Microsoft didn’t include eSIM in the ATT version and both versions lack support for band 71. Otherwise, it’s a productivity powerhouse.

2 Likes

I think it’s only 10 months old. It should get security updates for another 14 months I would imagine. And it’s definitely going to get Android 11.

So it’s not that bad in terms of being dated. I’m not trying to say Microsoft is great with updates or anything. I doubt they’ll keep doing major updates for 3 years or anything. But you probably will get at least five monthly security updates for the next year and a half

Microsoft guaranteed three years of updates when they released the phone.

It has voice capability, not just data, so it’ll be billed as a phone.

How did you get it unlocked ?

There’s a guide here:

Microsoft Surface Duo Dual-Screen LTE Tablets - #45 by HigHwing

2 Likes
  1. Not expandable
  2. Micro

Do you think that after they sell off as many locked ones as possible that they might start selling their unlocked ones?

1 Like

From what I read, the main issue with the hinge sensor is that the included case prevents the phone from opening completely. Don’t use the case and the experience should be much better. Everyone seems to feel the tilt sensor is too sensitive though. Not sure if that can be fixed in software.

1 Like

Does the wifi calling work after you have unlocked it ? Does it only work wifi calling if it’s connected to ATT or Cricket ?

Mine came yesterday. I’ve been messing around with it a bit, and it seems pretty neat. Filed for the AT&T unlock code, so will keep everyone informed about my saga with that.

3 Likes

out for delivery already today! fast shipping. locking forward to playing with it and starting the unlocking challenge process!

1 Like

No secret. There are two ways. Just do a google search. The first way is asking ATT. They have to give you permission to unlock it and then ou get a link that gives you the instructions. The other way you do it yourself. Not really all that diffficilt.

There’s quite a bit more to that. Many people spent weeks getting Microsoft & AT&T to talk to each other. The process to follow is linked above. We don’t guarantee it will work but people have had luck with it.

1 Like

Yeah mine arrived too. Despite July 15th delivery estimates! Now I need to find case, or decide to go naked. Bot crazy about bumper ruining aesthetics.

Might just add a skin and a universal faux-leather belt clip

For people worried about unlocking the device an interim solution is to just buy one month of AT&T prepaid for 25 bucks for a month. I plan on using it as an LTE tablet not as a phone but I will be swapping Sims around occasionally

145.2 mm x 93.3 mm x 9.9 mm on your belt??? Like living dangerously, do you?
I have used a belt clip on a moderate sized less fragile phone. The clip snagged on door and snapped.
Not fun things followed. Consider a murse instead. There are nice ones as well as fanny packs that can be slung.

1 Like

not hard to unlock

Microsoft? The OS is Android. That means google is doing the updates.

It’s NOT just Google. Google works with the manufacturers on Android updates. That’s why every manufacturer has their own update schedule. Only Google Pixel updates are controlled solely by Google.

3 Likes