Microsoft Surface Duo Dual-Screen Tablet

Did att give u the reason for not unlocking?

There may be an explanation why attā€™s CS replied that the phablet is not an att device - MS made too many of them, sales were so bad that the all these excess stocks remain stuck with MS, never made it to att and instead now straight to fire sales by 3rd party liquidators.

Depending on which CS one gets, some may be in the known and helpful enough to contact MS for the unlock code, that explains the slight delay of taking up to 6-7 working days

Others simply replied customers with ā€˜not an att deviceā€™ or just a rejection without reason once they ran a check in their system and the IMEI provided returns with a negative result.

In short, success may take a while and rejection almost within a working day or two.

If rejected by att, one may want to seek help from MS directly as only MS has the unlock code for each MS branded device, if not already provided to the telcos.

Reddit link: https://bit.ly/3zBTDbe

Mine will be in hand in a day or 2, will be going down the same road as everybody, fingers crossed for a knowledgeable and helpful att CS!

Got mine today!

Everything that could have gone wrong materialized, bummer!

1. ordered a 256gb, got a 128gb instead! The prints (by MS) on the retail box indicate the unit to be a 128gb. However, a label by Woot with the correct item code as on the sales page that says 256gb was pasted on the shrink wrap. That leaves me no choice but to open up the box to verify the unit, turns out it is indeed a 128gb, IMEI and serial also tallies with what MS printed on the box.

Have already contacted Woot CS with regard to the above.

1. Unit came ā€˜DOAā€™. Luckily there was a post above with regard to this and true and behold, after about half hour of charging, the charging icon came on the screen. Battery has indeed been thoroughly drained. Unit must have sat in the warehouse since manufactured few years back.

2. Went on to attā€™s website to submit the request for unlock.

The request did not even go through, after clicking ā€˜submitā€™ the error msg below popped up:

We canā€™t unlock this device for you because AT&T did not sell or activate it.

Kinda fits the narrative above that ā€˜this is not an att deviceā€™ as experienced by others who managed to submit the request. And my guess for it is all these units on firesale never made it into attā€™s inventory as sales were bad, these units were always stuck with MS and only MS has the unlock codes for them.

Att must have received too many of such requests that they amended their webpage to immediately filter out such devices.

A Woot CS who replied to this thread seems to indicate Woot can be of help for this matter, may attempt to contact both Woot and MS after my wrong unit received problem has been solved.

Iā€™m still in the same boat, at&t denied my unlock request saying not an at&t device. MS support has consistently been helpful every time I contact them (3x in total now) saying theyā€™ll pass the message along and will try to work with at&t to get me an unlock code. But so far no budging from at&t, the unlock status remains denied with no further contact.

Woot thank you for offering whatever service support you can! Iā€™ll be reaching out to you but I know you didnā€™t promise us it can be unlocked.

1 Like

Hmmā€¦ I remember reading a post on Reddit from an industry insider that the codes are provided by MS to ATT, not the other way round. Will see if I can dig that upā€¦

Found it: https://www.reddit.com/r/surfaceduo/comments/nqsiy3/comment/h0dd2y5/

Update: Took a month but MS came through and provided the code! Unlocked

1 Like

Mothers Day Lol GIF by reactionseditor
AT&T Sucks

Real glad to hear you have succeeded! Sent u a PM! Thanks!