Microsoft Surface Headphones

Microsoft Surface Headphones

Microsoft: Reject modernity! Embrace corporate gray!

Could be worse, at least they’re not beige…

I am really on the fence on this one. I’d love to have them, the price is great, but every time I put on headphones in my house, I am suddenly the most popular person in the house with everyone trying to talk to me.

2 Likes

I have a surface for work… but they’ve disabled Cortona…

LOL - I am glad I’m not the only one!

These are very good, I bought one 2-3 weeks ago when they had them for the same price.

The biggest issue but I dont mind working around it:
Windows detects this device as two separate devices, Surface Headphones Hands-Free (think of it as cheap earphones) and Surface Headphones Stereo

(I’m not using the headset at the moment so they show disconnected)

Now the issue is that when an application that uses the microphone is opened, the Hands Free portion of the device will activate and the Stereo will deactivate, in most cases you will hear no sound because your computer will have the Stereo as the default sound device and the Hands Free is the active one. Here is the kicker, some of these communication apps (Discord, Teams, Skype etc) will continue using Stereo as the Output and Hands Free as the input. Initially you wont hear anyone because your headset is in Hands Free, but they do hear you because the Hands Free microphone is active. I have to manually select Hands Free in the Playback Sound Tab so I can both listen and talk. However all music/video applications will continue to use the Stereo, so when you open Discord, Teams, Skype, Etc your music stops because your headset is no longer in Stereo Mode but Hands Free mode. When you stop using those apps you will hear everything else again because it switches back. MY WORK AROUND: I disabled from the Recording tab in Sounds the Hands Free microphone and I use a separate microphone, this way the Surface headset always remains in Stereo:

I’m happy to help if anyone has questions about this.

2 Likes

If you purchase, you can claim a $25 Microsoft Store gift card https://www.bing.com/surfaceheadphoneredemption

3 Likes