Microsoft Surface Pro 4 12" Tablet with Pen

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 12" Tablet with Pen

1 Like

While I love my Surface Pro 4’s (I am on my 3rd, each progressively more RAM, SSD and processor, the last 2 being refurbs from Woot!, all still operating just fine), not including the Type Cover at these prices on devices that won’t be upgradeable to Windows 11, these are not good prices at all. Type Covers will set you back a minimum of $120, average $150. Including one would make these prices close to reasonable for a computer whose OS will be supported for another 3.75 years.

2 Likes

I love my Surface Pro 4. You don’t really need a Type Cover, but if you want one you can sometimes find an older one on Amazon for $75 to $90, which work fine with the Pro 4. You can also just use any Bluetooth keyboard or even a regular wireless keyboard. I usually connect this to a USB hub when I want to do real work at home and use a full size keyboard, mouse and monitor. When on the road, I’m fine with using the pen input for the most part, with a small Bluetooth keyboard in a pinch, since I’m not doing any serious typing.

The issue for me is the Windows 11 upgrade. I’ve heard of some people installing 11 on these, but Microsoft’s support for updates concerns me. That said, these will still be good until 2025 at least, so worth purchasing as a stop gap if you’re waiting for the Surface Pro 7 to drop down to a similar price in a few years. I suspect the batteries on these won’t last much past the end of life for Windows 10, so you may never have to worry about upgrading your OS. You certainly won’t have an easy time replacing the battery once it dies, based on all reparability scores for Surface Pros in general and this model in particular.

1 Like

Surface Pro 4s & 5s suffer from two bad hardware issues. I forget which is which, or maybe it’s even a crossover.
The battery expands which causes the screen to bulge out

And the video card issue with the shaking or scrambled screen. How to Fix Surface Pro Screen Shaking and Flickering

With the stacks of these I have sitting in my office at work, I would advise extreme caution on them.

3 Likes

Agreed 100%.
My original SP4 was the i5 4gb RAM model and when the charging port started acting up, I was able to find a replacement on craigslist in perfect condition with the i7 16gb RAM 512gb for $300.
Granted mine was used, but came with the pen and keyboard (and really is in immaculate condition).
Without the type cover, these prices are quite high for a device that’s, what…3-4 generations behind?
Love my SP4 but cant imagine paying almost $600 for one without the keyboard.

3 Likes

I own 3, used them each nearly continuously as my EDC, and never had either of these problems.

The screen shaking thing is 100% true, it happened to me. It’s also why I moved on from it and all Microsoft hardware.

1 Like

The percentage of surfaces that we purchased versus other units was fairly small but I’ve got maybe one or two Fujitsu that are lying around with various issues compared to five surfaces or so that have one of those two issues and we’ve also sent probably five or six out to be repaired. Almost the inverse of the proportion that we purchased compared to the other brands.
And those repairs were only under the extended warranty, or even afterwards or they paid for them.