Microsoft Wireless Mouse 6000

I picked up two of the 4000 model a few months ago on woot at the same price. I will admit to not turning it off. But I like that this one has a battery indicator. That should be a good reminder. I’m in for two, maybe three. That way if one is a lemon, I still feel like I got a deal.

I’ve been using a 4000 for 4 years now. The transceiver on my first one went out after two years of daily use. I purchased a new one from the local brick and mortar store only to see that they have a 3 year warranty. I called Microsoft and explained my issue and they shipped me a new mouse. I promptly returned the old one and I was on my merry way.

I’ve been using this mouse for 3 years. Fits comfortably in my hand. The Bluetrack technology works better than the standard red laser. I’ve never had an issue with accidentally hitting the side buttons but find it to be a great feature. Only problem I’ve had was the scrolling wheel scrolls fast in some applications and slow in others (which might be Vista issue). It was worth the $40 I paid so at $10, this is a great deal.

I have this mouse in white…I use it all the time…It’s great. The only problem I have had is there is no warning when the battery is low. I use it with my home PC.

Its a competent mouse. It does what its asked to do without a squeak.

And the color grows on you…like Barney, a wart, or toe fungus.

I have had one like this and if you call customer service they will send you a new one - I had no problems with their customer service at all. This is a great deal.

will this mouse work on a Mac?

Well, the DVD says IntelliPoint 7.1 for MAC so I would say yes.

I have a Logitech mouse with these dimensions and I don’t consider it a mobile mouse - I use it all day long at my computer. Frankly, it is much more ergonomic than a larger mouse.

My mobile mouse is more like 2-3/4" long by 1-1/2" wide. (I don’t have it here to measure exactly)

This fits my hand just fine. I’m going to get one of these as a backup. I would get several for my users (yes, I’m the IT department, lol) but I’m a bit concerned about those dongles. Thinking…thinking…

Mice are one of the things I like to keep extras of. I have a knack for breaking them. I’ve used several 4000s happily and at this price how can I not get 3. Of course, as soon as I get them I’ll end my streak of breaking mice and they’ll sit around unused. Better safe than sorry!

The additional buttons are what I am looking for. I need a button I can program for my thumb for a double-click. Awesome deal, thanks WOOT!

I got this mouse a couple months ago. It’s nice to use, and feels comfy but goes through batteries like crazy.

Buttons are of course programmable if the MS mouse software is loaded.

Also should note that the MS mouse software is not required for using this mouse. It will be picked up and function as a standard HID (human interface device) under Windows XP, Vista, Win 7 and Win 8.

Why might someone want to not load the MS mouse software? Because if you’re using this mouse with a laptop or other device with a built-in trackpad, the MS mouse software will overwrite/override your trackpad software and possibly (probably actually) cost things like scroll zone and other custom trackpad functionality.

Yes. Plug and play. You can load the MS Intellipoint software for Mac if you want, but it’s not strictly necessary.

It’s a small mouse, but not mini.

Battery life is actually quite good if the mouse is functioning properly. Anyone getting less than a month out of fresh known good batteries needs to contact warranty support because even though the mouse may be perfectly functional, short battery life indicates an issue where some stray solder or bad active component is shunting excess current.

I got this a year and a half ago and have been using every day for 8+ hours/day since - really love it. Maybe I just got lucky or something, but I’ve had none of the problems with the rubber, battery life, interference, overheating, or anything. In fact, I’m really impressed with the battery life - I usually get at least a month out of it, and even up to 2 months when turning it off at night. I’m touching the transmitter right now and it’s cold to the touch too

While the rubber is still in perfect shape for me, one part that has worn down is the faux metal trim, which doesn’t hurt anything but just looks worn.

Also the mouse wheel does take a bit of time to get used to since it doesn’t ‘click’. However, after using it a while I actually prefer the non-clicking.

I bought one of these for a lot more than this woot. It’s been a fine travel mouse for my work laptop. My biggest gripe is that the RF performance is a bit poor. The USB dongle needs to be on the same side of the computer as your mouse. I had mine a bit far away and under load it would skip. Perhaps the lappy (high end Lenovo) emitted too much RFI, who knows.

You may want to keep a short USB extension cable in your bag to move the dongle around as needed. It negates the small size of the dongle, I realize.

For day to day use I’ve stopped using wireless mice. I use wired gaming mice only. Plenty of heft and never a skippy mouse.

That said the MS Explorer has a poorly attached metal ring around the ‘eye’ of the mouse. The glue picks up lint which messes up the mouse.

Oh well.

I have this mouse for my work computer and it works great. The programmable side buttons are extremely handy when programmed correctly.

I’ve been using this mouse for over 2 years (in black). I think I paid $50 for it at Staples and it is worth every penny! I searched and searched for the best mouse with hyper-fast scrolling and settled for this mouse and I also bought the Logitech Anywhere. They are both fantastic. On the Logitech, you can turn off hyper-fast scrolling (click-click, which I hate). The rubber on mine looks brand new and I leave the receiver plugged in constantly with no over-heating issues. My battery life is forever with daily use. It does have a battery indicator light on it (someone said it did not). As for size, I call it mid-sized, not as big as my desktop Explorer 6000 but bigger than a mini. Also, be aware it has a slick finish. Should I buy another one as a spare and use my Jumbowoot coupon? The only thing holding me back is the color.

So for anyone looking for a good solid mouse, this is it!

Edit: As I was writing my review, it sold out! Dang, ColonelCrap and ThunderThighs, dig a few more out of storage!