Mint Hard Floor Cleaner

So have you actually had a Mint, or not? I had 3 of the irobot devices and they all died even with proper maintenance. I’ve had a Mint and had only one problem - and it was promptly replaced (11 months after purchase) with a brand new one with a brand new year warranty. (And I honestly think I’m the one who caused the problem by dragging it when it was running its route.)

God, that sucks that irobot bought Mint because Irobot has turned their products into the cheapest pieces of crap ever.

The Mint will do one room at a time if you have it closed off with a door or if it’s blocked with a threshold or something. Otherwise, it will just go around the hard floors as much as it can reach. This kind of causes a problem for me, actually, in my new home which has tile going from the back door to the front door and also to the garage entry - I need a way to close it in and have it focus on a smaller area at a time.

My post for the people who want to hear from owners (from a previous Woot Mint deal):
I love my Mint. We’ve had one for a couple years. It’s super quiet (especially after listening to Roomba grind around my house), you just use the swiffer pads that are available at Costco (cheap!) and turn 'er loose.

About 11 months into a 12 month warranty, my first Mint started acting weird - it wouldn’t go forward. It kept thinking it was stuck on something. I am convinced this is my fault because I moved it while it was running (instead of stopping it and then moving it like a normal, patient person would). Their customer service was top notch - immediately sent me a new Mint with a new 12 month warranty.

The only negatives I can really think of - 1) The “mopping” cycle doesn’t ever seem to finish with the mopping pad (Swiffer or otherwise) still being damp enough to do any good, but that might be more a product of the pads I use than the Mint’s issue and 2) There’s not really any way to keep it to one room. It stops at thresholds (…usually) but if you have a wide expanse of tile that goes throughout your house (like I do now at our new home), I’m not really sure how you’d keep Mint contained. I have heard the GPS doesn’t accomodate multiple rooms (in one go) but have not noticed any problems with this myself.

I really like my mint (purchased a year ago). It is a little slow but I don’t need it to be fast, I just want it to mop for me! I set it when I leave the house and come home to cleaner floors. Certainly better for maintenance than deep cleaning but if mine died, I would buy another.

I love my Mint! My 2 dogs shed - bucket loads. And I have dark wood floors. Every friggin’ dog hair shows. I run the Mint to sweep everyday and it does a great job. Yes, there is still some dog hair around the perimeter of the room and under some areas but I can take care of that in about 3 minutes. I don’t care that it is rather slow - if I need it done quicker I can grab the swiffer but in general I think the Mint is fantastic.

Had to add, I love my Mint too. I got it in the last sale for one (I think the price was way lower though…). If you’re the type of person (like me) that gets strangely attached to moving on-living objects, you’ll love just watching him work, but other than that, it works quite well. You do need to clear the floor of debris that it would bump into, but he does a good job doing the majority of the sweeping. You will need to sweep up in a few corners, but for those who tend to forget to sweep on their own and would rather concentrate on other cleaning while Mint does his job, he is faaantastic.

I love him. One of the best purchases I’ve ever made. Ever.

I have to second the Neato endorsement. I purchased mine on Woot about a month ago and couldn’t be happier. I have had four different Roombas, and loved them all…that is until they died! :frowning: Took a risk on the Neato and couldn’t be happier. This thing is SOOOO much smarter than the Roomba and does such a good job. I have heard from others that the order of best robotic vacuums is Neato, Roomba and then the Mint. I have done a lot of research on them, because I love this robotics part of it. The advantage the Mint has is the wet cleaning and the much lower price point than the Neato or the Roomba that can mop.

Does anyone know how this little guy does with homes that have vaulted/changing ceilings? The video says the beacon works “like GPS” but it looks like it shoots a beam onto the ceiling which the mint uses as a reference. We have ceilings that change, kitchen has a flat ceiling and the opens up into another area that has vaulted with continuous laminate between the two. I’m wondering if once the mint moves into the other “room” that it’ll lose track of the beacon’s beam once it can’t see it.

list it on amazon or ebay

how is it with noticing and responding to stairs by not falling down them? Has anyone tried it on multiple levels of a house (ie, if I move it downstairs, will it know it is somewhere else and adjust?

Would a baby gate work for your needs? It may sound ridiculous, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do…

I got mine back in July from Woot and I love it. My whole house is hardwood, though. I have it sweep every night and it always picks tons of stuff up, including a lot of pet hair, even if the floor already looks clean.

The mop mode is for maintenance only, though. You will still need to mop like once every week or two, but you can run the Mint in between and it does a good job of getting the easy dirt and making the place smell good. It won’t replace your normal mop, though.

I usually set it and forget it, but you have to sort of prep the room first. Obviously, pick up all objects out of the floor, and I block off a couple of areas that I don’t want it to go. The two things that seem to stop it in its tracks are HVAC vents on the floor and wires/charging cables like my MacBook’s charging cable.

Good thing it comes in Mint condition! Im not big on the Refurbished kind! Ohhhh!!!

Dont leave this guy home alone with Bicardi and a lime or you may come back to a Mojito Party!

Mint 4200 Hard Floor Cleaner: “The only Mint that doesnt have to be rooted in one place!”

Man those jokes were so bad it left a taste in my mouth… a minty flavor!

J.What

[Woot! MOD commences to place jokester on probation]

I’ve also got the neato. They are great. I wasn’t sure a robovac was a good idea, but neato changed my mind.