Modern Art Hand Painted Reproductions

I don’t know about the rest, but the color tones of the Georgia O’Keeffe paintings seem terribly off. Like someone modernized the color palette. I look at Bella Donna and see garish greens where O’Keeffe used more yellow to moderate her greens. The examples also lack the depth of color due to the posterization of the color mixes she laid down.

I’m not expecting this to replace an O’Keeffe, but for the price Woot wants for these, I could have a local art student produce something that would honor O’Keeffe’s legacy far better than these do.

I also see that there are “certificate of authenticity” provided. Woot really needs to provide more documentation that these are authorized reworkings of images, not someone in China circumventing image copyrights. A certificate of authenticity is worthless if it is counterfeit also.

IIRC, the Georgia O’Keeffe Museum holds the copyright to many of her works. If the copyright for this particular version is held by them, I would think Woot would want to make it clear they authorized these reproductions.

these are made by students in china, they put a poster in front of them and they mass produce them, we used to but them at an vendor art show for any where from 20.00 to 300.00 depending on the size and where they came from, the ones in main land china were not as well done as say the ones in like Hong Kong. They won’t match the original or else someone would be getting a copyright problem right quick. Even with a good solid wood frame and stretcher bars this isn’t a good price. And I would never buy hand painted art unseen…

yeah Thom Kinkade near put Staurday Mornings out of business when they tried selling his stuff in their store. Problem, they were all the same size print and had a COA with his face on it, Lightpost Publishing never had a COA with his face on it and most prints are not the same size.

That’s a good summation. Dodgy reproduction allows circumvention of copyright. So Woot offers these, makes bank, and the license holders get nada. Woot uses the artists’ name and cachet to enrich itself at the expense of those who should rightly benefit. Not the most ethical of actions, Woot.

All these art offerings do is make me question the authenticity of the rest of the items Woot offers. If they feel no shame acting this way over artists’ work, I have to wonder if they are passing off knock-offs of other items as the real deal.

When I look at the offerings of watches on here, for example, it makes me question whether I’d receive a real Rolex or some Chinese knockoff being passed off as an authentic Rolex.

I guess the bottom line is, can I trust this site? These art offerings make me question whether I can or not.

With all due respect, Woot clearly listed these as “Reproductions”. Had they omitted that detail (disregarding common sense), then your concern might be valid. The morality of selling reproductions aside, suggesting that Woot would intentionally sell knock-offs as the real thing, based on the fact that they’re selling clearly marked painted reproductions, is just silly, IMHO.

The issue is not about whether or not they are reproductions. The issue whether or not Woot is ripping off those entitled to renumeration -and whether or not those who hold the legitimate copyrights authorized these specific reproductions.

Woot has not clarified these concerns, so I have no choice but to assume these are ripoffs and unauthorized reproductions.

a real Georgia O’Keeffe goes for MILLIONS of dollars:
http://www.georgiaokeeffepaintings.com/auction.html

Georgia O’Keeffe nor her trust get a dime from most of these auctions. When they do sell them, they use it to buy more art from private collectors: http://www.usnews.com/news/entertainment/articles/2014/09/12/okeeffe-museum-to-put-3-works-up-for-auction

The Music Pink and Blue is completely sideways but the colors are actually close to what she originally painted them. the softer version of this painting is called Music, Pink and Blue No. 2…

I don’t have millions of dollars to pay to some art investor. Most artists die poor. Warhol did not. Art is subjective. All art is derivative. Dali stole almost all of his ideas from other artists:
Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing”- Salvador Dali

that all being said, I bought one of these things because reason.

I am a reproduction from my parents.

pontification over.

Since all these artists are 30 years dead, at minimum, I can’t say I’m particularly concerned about profits owned the corporation that bought the rights from the artist’s grandson.

You specifically said, “When I look at the offerings of watches on here, for example, it makes me question whether I’d receive a real Rolex or some Chinese knockoff being passed off as an authentic Rolex.” That is suggesting that Woot would knowingly try to sell you something fake by passing it off as real, which is what I was responding to.