Mongoose Bicycles

It sounds like you are saying it’s okay to discriminate against those who are of different sex, race, religion, sexual orientation, or anything else. Also, when that discrimination happens instead of standing up against it people should ignore it and find a place that doesn’t discriminate?

In my opinion it’s never okay discriminate. This is America and it’s even against the law to discriminate!

Actually, it sounds like you are saying that it’s discrimination for the buyers to snatch up a good deal, unless they find something that can apply to both sexes. That’s just ludicrous.

Do you complain when woot sells Christmas themed items around Christmas time? “Where are the menorahs?! Why would a jewish woman want a Christmas Tree?!”

If you look hard enough, and decide for yourself what the reasons are, you’ll find that most everything that happens can be blamed on discrimination. “What?! McDonald’s is discriminating against vegetarians by using the cheapest ingredients possible which happen to be ground meat!”

The thing to take away from this is as follows. Next time there’s something merely for one gender, maybe you should just say, “Hey woot! I’m a woman, and I like bikes too. If you get a good deal on bikes for women, I’d probably buy one then!” You can’t be certain there was any discrimination involved, and have no place accusing…

Unless the writeup said “We got a solid, metric crapton of bikes, but we sold the women’s ones off for scrap because women are worthless and would never be allowed to ride bikes in public.”

That person is suggesting that if you do, in fact, feel that there is discrimination going on, you should STAND UP against it by not purchasing from the company. You’re not going to convince anybody of anything by accusing them of misdoings.

/rant

More on topic, though, I’m a big fat guy (~300lbs) and I’d like to find a bike that I can ride for more than a week without severe consequences to myself or the bike. Anybody have any recommendations other than losing weight?

hilarious

We appreciate your guys heated discussion, but this forum shouldn’t be the venue/medium for this type of conversation.

Please limit your posts to topics and thoughts about the Mongoose Bicyles for sale.

Sincerely,
Woot Staff

TMI, guys. I mean, if you were 6’2" that’d be another story, but I’m not sure what your 6.2" has to do with buying a bike…

Look into Trek. I have a mens mountain bike, and I’m a big girl. Not quite where you are…but they bike is awesome! You may have to buy a different seat though, the one that came with mine hurts my butt! I would suggest an actual bike shop as you are bound to have them find you something that will work for you. But, I do love my Trek! My brother keeps trying to steal it from me though!

Also, Mongoose used to make good bikes. My brother has one from the early 90’s, and the bike is a beast. The problem came in where they started selling at Toys R’ Us, KMart and WalMart. That is what all of these bikes are. They have Mongoose bikes that aren’t available for sale in the US that seem like much better bikes. It’s a shame, because I always loved the brand.

Hmm, at 6’4" tall, no standard size will work for me.

Any good full-suspension bike would be fine - I got a K2 Attack 2.0 when I weighed upwards of 300 lbs. If you go full-suspension, replace the rear spring with a much stiffer one - otherwise, you’ll just bounce along the road while pedaling.

BTW, I’m sure I’ll get flamed for recommending full-suspension - but a hardtail is hell on the a$$ for a fat guy.

Even if you don’t intend to ride off road, I’d still go with a full-suspension mountain bike. You can always use street tires, but you’ll want a burly frame. Once you drop a few lbs, you can get something more road-centric… once I got down to 250ish, I picked up a Kona Dew Deluxe.

Good luck biking!

What an incredibly sexist thing to say. Why are you discriminating? I’m quite certain there was a man involved at some point. Wonder why you chose to leave that out, giving one sex only all the credit.

Seriously, how is a a limited product offering, esp. from a site that has offered women only products for sale, a reflection of hatred?

At risk of disagreeing with staff and by no means supporting the complaining posters remarks, plenty of woot’s buying practices, shipping practices (zip codes), even policy, etc. has been influenced by criticism arising from forum discussions.

re hardtails–Everyone rides different, but I usually find my butt out of the seat when the going gets even a little rough. That said, I see a lot more dual suspension bikes out on the trails. In the past, most of the friends that were more serious riders tended to have hardtails for some reason, though I never really asked or figured out why.

re other decent brands/companies–Last time I picked up a bike which was years ago (like 2003), seemed Trek and Specialized (esp.) were pretty popular and made decent mountain bikes.

More on topic, though, I’m a big fat guy (~300lbs) and I’d like to find a bike that I can ride for more than a week without severe consequences to myself or the bike. Anybody have any recommendations other than losing weight?
[/quote]

I’m 6’2" and about your size and I ride a Raleigh C30 everyday to work and back. A Trek 7100 or 7300 may be what you are looking for as well. Plus, unlike these mongooses (mongeese?) it actually looks like an adult’s bike. The only people I ever see ride a mongoose are teenagers and “urban” people (think wife-beater and sagging pants).

What’s with Woot and Walmart bikes?

Seriously- they might as well be putting wheels on tin cans and calling them bikes.

Walmart bikes like this don’t last for more than a week.

There is a reason they are cheap…

Any money spent on these bikes is a waste. You might as well dump your $$$ down the garbage disposal.

BUY YOUR BIKE FROM YOUR LOCAL BIKE SHOP! IT WILL BE MUCH BETTER COMPONENTS THAN THIS JUNK!!! Same reason why you never buy a walmart bike… Guess what when the 16 year old built that bike for your kid, and the wheel falls off. Walmart will not fix it for you…!

Still ride my 1988 Specialized Hardrock. Been a great bike.

Any modern bike built by a reputable builder will be fine. The thing larger riders need to pay attention to is spoke count and tire pressure. The more spokes the better, and the higher the pressure the nicer it will be on flats.

Look for something with 30+ spokes (pretty much any non performance wheels - most mountain bikes come standard with lots of spokes on the rear) and ride at a slightly higher psi in the rear.

I’m 215 on a good day and ride 30/35psi (front/rear) on a mountain bike. I would recommend bumping those up 5psi for a 300lb’r if you’re going to be off road, but if you’re going to be on road just pump em up to the max pressure rated on the tire.

You can always get a new saddle that’s a bit more spacious for your larger posterior, but any bike worth it’s weight will be just fine for you or anyone who is large.

The fireline isnt a terrible bike - basic FS setup with entry level components. With a rear swing arm like that you arent going to get a ton of travel but its an ok entry level full suspension bike.

I was thinking the local bike shop for a variety of good reasons… but primarily that they would ASSEMBLE it :smiley:

I have a specialized s works m2 that I’ve been using as my 2nd/town bike since 1995. That thing is utterly bombproof.

word

Kinda amazed on how they can ship a bike for $5.

Total garbage. Please buy the cheapest bike at your local bike shop instead.