Mongoose Bicycles

I probably would have naught one consideringi’ve wanted a bike for a while now but there was no woman’s bikes :frowning:

These look nothing like those, because those are real bikes, and these are trash. Buyer beware. These bikes, at the best are going to be a coat rack for you, and at worse, are dangerous junk.

Definitely not comparable. Those bikes costs $1000’s of dollars. To give an idea of cost, the Trek Madone that Lance Armstrong rode in 2010 cost $10,000.

Dear Mongoose, how much do any of these bikes weigh? I’d like to compare them more.

Not comparing to the pro’s bikes, but the amateur athlete’s bikes in the 01ympics. I think these would be like what Lance rides, except he has what seems to be simple bikes without suspension or kickstands. Maybe their bike’s price has to have all those secrmet compartments for urine samples and complicated equipments to administer blood or drugs in the middle of a ride.

I figure you’re trolling, but there’s a lot of engineering that goes into things like “making brakes that adjust well and actuate reliably” and “having wheels that don’t start wobbling erratically when you hit a small rut” and “having a shifting system that won’t randomly break in a way that causes the pedals to lose all resistance, greatly increasing the chances of you losing control or smashing your nuts.”

These bikes have none of the engineering required for those things. The best thing that I can say about these bikes is that they’ll most likely be so unpleasant to ride that you will give up before their poor quality control leads to something like a crank arm falling off the bottom bracket spindle.

These bikes also ship flat, meaning that they have to be assembled by someone. If you’re going to pay someone to build it up, you might as well spend the extra money to have them build a bike that isn’t completely worthless. If you’re knowledgeable enough to build and properly adjust everything yourself, you should be looking at something like BikesDirect instead.

They have road bikes (the kind you see with gears and stuff in longer-form road races) and track bikes (the kind you saw in the NASCAR-style racing on the oval velodrome) there that are actually comparable in quality to what a competitive racing cyclist would ride.

My wife and I have had Mongoose bikes before, they weigh a lot. I can’t give you an exact weight other than ‘butt-load’.
We both have a decent brand of bike now, and the weight difference is night and day. I was blown away.

That is still lotsa money. Option C: used. I have a beautiful, fast 1987 Nishiki road bike that would have cost maybe 300 bucks if I’d bought it from a bike shop (and not craigslist). Of course, there’s no carbon fiber on this thing…

What a bunch of crybabies…

Yes, if you’re a competitive cyclist - look somewhere else. If you’re a “recreational” cyclist - just remember you get what you pay for.

But really, all this bashing of department store bikes… Guess what, entire COUNTRIES run on bikes like that, with minimal complaint. I’ve picked up the Snarl last time around, and besides the seat being brutal everything else seems fine. The XCT fork is plain yesterday’s technology, but works. The Altus is the low end, but still crisp and precise. Yes, I had to assemble, retighten, and readjust it correctly, but now it runs smooth and quiet. I took it to a trail yesterday and I saw 2 guys on “real” bicycles, obviously wanting to show off their “wealth”, but the other 100+ people there had bikes just like this. Nobody broke down, nobody complained…

You can buy yourself one of those (or comparable Schwinn @ Target), or keep riding a bus, trying to justify $800+ expense on something you will use 1-2 times a month.

You will come to learn, cognitively dissonant one. A Schwinn is still a fine bike. These bikes unfortunately, break frequently, and dangerously. You JUST got this bike. Just be awfully careful to make sure the spokes are tensioned if you ride it more than a few times, mmkay? Give it a good pre and post flight check. Also, stock seats are nearly always brutal - even if you’ve paid 2k for the bike.

If you want a good cheap bike, buy a Jamis.

Cheaper At Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Mongoose-Xcom-700c-Bike-Blue/dp/B0085WB0EU

I don’t know how they plan on selling any of the Men’s mountain bikes. 26" bike is for people that are like 7 feet tall!!

What am I missing on the way the size is listed?

Mass merchant bikes like these only come in one size and are only listed by the size of the wheels, unlike bike shop bikes which are listed by both wheel and frame sizes.

If you’re shorter than say 5’2" or taller than 5’10" these bikes will be either dangerous or uncomfortable.

It appears mine arrived with a bent wheel too. I’ve contacted Woot and am waiting for a response. :frowning:

you should be able to straighten a bent wheel out. Put the wheel on its side, and stand on the side that is bending out. The shaft coming out of the middle of the wheel will act like lever, allowing you to bend the wheel back.

Agreed (again).

Being 100% cyclist (never had a motorist license) and at 50 have had many types of bikes. Now about 6 in the garage including one trash find, a neighbor give away, a used buy from a local bike shop under $200 (Fuji turned into a fixie/freewheel), etc etc.

All are great bikes and luckily great fits but I have this great mechanic around me that I trust and doesnt charge an arm and a leg.

I dont know if these bikes qualify as something like a Walmart type bike but if something breaks and you go to a bike shop it usually will cost nearly as much as buying another Walmart bike to fix the broken one…

Thank you everyone for a very open conversation about these bikes. Just moved an extremely enthusiastic biking city (like the bikers here scare me at rush hour, super serious, taking up a good portion of the road and cutting off buses) was thinking about this as a way to ease myself in but will go with the suggestions to go to a local bike store instead. Thank you!

If it is anything like a San Francisco or Pittsburgh type city which has a very thriving biking community with Bike Advocacy groups - they can often give you a list of independent shops which often (not always) have better deals or more selections and more care.

See if such a group exist in your city. Sometimes joining will also give you discount at bike shops… but these groups always have free & very useful city biking maps and other info, and maybe an active forum to learn the rules of that cities road.

Best of luck and always ride safe.

Thank you for the advice! I will have to google Bike Advocacy groups in my area! I actually have a 79 girls bicycle cruiser which is cute & fun for short trips to the store, but not at all cut out for a commute home up large hills. I’m sensing something with gear shifting in my future!