Moniker Pinot Noir (5)

Moniker Mendocino County Pinot Noir 5-Pack
Sold by: Mendocino Wine Group
$79.99 $172.00 53% off List Price
2014 Moniker Pinot Noir, Mendocino County

Thank you so much for showing interest in our 2014 Moniker Wine Estates Pinot Noir!

This wine received an 89 point score from the Wine Enthusiast.

Residual Sugar: 0.049/100ml
PH: 3.7
TA: 0.54
Alc: 14.5%

Cooperage: Aged 18 months in 25% new American oak, 10% 1 year old American oak and 65% redwood tank.

[grape]
Sorry for the late rattage. I barely managed to stay up to see the beginning of SNL last night, much less the 1:00 turnover.

Anyway, a monkey knocked on my office window the other day. It handed over a box containing one bottle of Monicker Pinot Noir, vintage 2014. Then it looked around, caught a glimpse of Yankee Stadium, and flew off, looking appalled.

This was on Wednesday. I brought it home that night to give it a chance to chill out a bit. We drank the wine Friday night. It was cold, having been out of the fridge about a half hour when we started drinking it.

Appearance: clear, light cranberry color
First sniff, berries. Maybe chocolate-covered berries? Wasn’t expecting that. I thought it would be pretty lush from the smell, not an adjective I’d ordinarily apply to PN.
First sip: mmm, we both loved it! The tannins are light, the berries are prevalent, it seems pretty full-bodied compared to many PNs we’ve had.

So, we kept pouring along with dinner, and of course it was even nicer as it opened up, went great with the salmon, yada yada, good on its own after dinner as well, and eventually the bottle was gone and I had forgotten to take a picture of the wine in the glass. Oops! Oh well, you all know what wine looks like.

You might expect this to be on the richer, fuller, side, given the rear label copy describing the winery’s passion for bold, rich wines (similar to the copy I spotted in reference to their Zig Zag Zin that was on sale here the other day during the wootoff). It lived up to that expectation. A very enjoyable bottle.

So I went to all the trouble of putting up a back label photo, only to notice that the Woot photog already provided one. Never mind!

The power of the lab rat – looks like this thing started selling, just about the time I posted my review?

This sounds delicious.

I’d be interested in 2/3…

It does look tasty but I can’t pick up anything else for awhile.

14.5% ABV is pretty hot for a Pinot Noir. Was the alcohol smell/taste very noticeable?

My spouse and I tend to be pretty sensitive to hot wines, we didn’t notice that at all with this one.

I did notice we both fell out on the couch at some point. :tongue:

Kyle, if you lived out this way, I’d be happy to split with you.

All GD community tasting notes for this wine have been x-posted into cellar tracker, user names have been omitted to protect the guilty.