Moravian Cookie preparation photos

I’ll be posting photos of my cookie preparation adventures here over the course of the next couple days. I’ve never made these cookies before.

This is the recipe I’ll be following:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/moravian-spice-cookie-wafers-united-states-recipe.html

Step1 (gather supplies):

Cookie cutter, rolling pin, rolling pin guide rings, baking sheets, and baking parchment are missing from this photo.

[qualityposts=6117439][/qualityposts]

I’m excited now. That’s the same recipe I was trying.

Hope they turn out close to the real thing. Those suckers are expensive.

Since I’ve never had the real thing the ones I make will be great to me regardless since I won’t be able to make a comparison.

I’ve never even heard of them.
Hope they are good!

I like cookies with nuts. I’d add nuts.

Good Luck with them!

I agree on the nuts, but I think these might be too thin for any significant nut. They would have to ground to a pulp to work.

I had the pleasure of taking a bunch of 9 year olds from Charlotte to Winston-Salem for a field trip to Old Salem. I think my mind has blocked the majority of the trip for mental sanity. I do remember that the souviner shop was expensive and kids were brats. No nut on their cookies. Sugar, lemon, ginger, etc but no nuts. Guess the old colonials didn’t like them.

Gonna have to get the missus to try those.

Sorry to hijack your thread shortman, she wanted me to post these…

Her cutout/sugar cookies

and Chai Spice Sugar cookies

Mise en place (French pronunciation: ​[mi zɑ̃ ˈplas]) is a French phrase which means “putting in place”, as in set up. It is used in professional kitchens to refer to organizing and arranging the ingredients (e.g., cuts of meat, relishes, sauces, par-cooked items, spices, freshly chopped vegetables, and other components) that a cook will require for the menu items that are expected to be prepared during a shift. The practice is also effective in home kitchens.

Beautiful. She can bake cookies for me anytime =D

Lovely cookies!

Wisk together dry stuff:

Obtain egg yolk (saving white for waffle!):

Sugar, Butter, Yolk, and Molasses Ready:

Sugar and Butter Combined:

Yolk and Molasses Beat into Sugar and Butter:

Dry ingredients mixed into wet:

Hmmmm. That didn’t come out right. I have something the consistency of brown sugar rather than dough. No amount of beating or turning with spatula will turn this into batter. What did I do wrong? I’ve never had batter not become batter like this. It seems too dry.

Anyone have suggestions to save it? Or should I trash and start over?

That’s what I thought too. It looks like mine did… Try spreading it thin, then use the roller to pack it down. Don’t start it in a big pile, I think that was my error

I took some in my fingers and packed it together, but then when I tried to flatten it it just fell apart again into loose power. Will the dough hold together better after frozen? I’m hoping so because this seems like a pain to work with.

Was the butter at room temp? Looks like it balled up.

The missus has looked at other similar recipes. Some say melt the butter. Others add oil. Others use shortening. Most are brown not white sugar. Maybe drizzle in some oil or melted butter.

I’d hesitate throwing it out. I don’t like to waste food.

I had a hell of a hard time cutting mine too. But I do think it was because it was too thick and packed too much

I put it in the microwave and added a little more molasses, but I bet more butter or oil would be the better option

My butter was pretty soft. It was removed from fridge about 9am, sat at room temperature until 6pm. Room temperature was 70F. I pressed the mixer beaters through it easily in the bowl. The last cookies I made had much softer butter though because the room temperature was higher, over 80. Maybe the butter and sugar just didn’t combine well enough.

I think I’ll try microwaving as is and beating some more without adding anything more. If that doesn’t work I’ll try adding melted butter.

I’m glad moles missus is around.