More Knives Than You Can Shake A Fork At

Thanks for the advice.

Thats what I was leaning towards - in both areas!

I disagree. I regularly use three: chef’s knife, paring knife, and bread knife.

The Victorinox is a decent knife. You can get thie chef’s knife, bread knife, and paring knife for a$50 to $60. Those will cover most needs.

Has little to do with how it’s built and more to do with how it’s shipped. I’ve had 3 of the large bamboo boards delivered here and 1 of them did come cracked. Woot was a pleasure to deal with to get a replacement sent out.

Mind you, it was the wood/bamboo that actually cracked - not a glue seam between boards…really nothing to do with craftsman ship when that happens…

don’t know how much this is frowned upon…but here’s a set of 3 - santoku/chef’s/utility for $60 - it was $49 a few weeks ago unfortunately :\

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/victorinox-forschner-fibrox/125th-anniversary-edition-knife-set-p126333

Never really liked the handle on Victorinox paring and utility knives, too thin and small to be held comfortably in my hands. (never tried their paring with the special larger handles though)

If you really want to be nice to your knife edges, you’d only consider WOOD boards, preferably endgrain board, side grain if you can’t help it. Bamboo boards do NOT count as wood, since it takes so much glue to hold all the fibers together into a board (the glue is too hard to be nice to knife edges)
Even rubber boards (e.g. Sani-Tuff boards) are better than plastic which are better than bamboo boards.

Also, contrary to what they say, never put knives and wood/bamboo boards into the dishwasher.

Just FYI, the Wasabi specs were fixed up - thanks for the sharp eye!

I love the Shun knifes and have bought some from Woot already, including the Shun DMS344 Classic 3-Piece Flat Set listed here. Amazing knives. The Nakiri cut through raw potato with very little effort. If you don’t have these knives and have the budget, I highly recommend them.

I just wish Woot would come up with different sets for these knives. I already have a Santoku and a chef’s knife.

Good G-D I just went to wash the 2 remaining bamboo boards (see above) and the NEXT-largest one split before I even got to use it.

Woot, please don’t restock or offer these pieces of junk again.

I got the Ginsu 10 piece set in wasabi for Christmas, and I totally love them! They’re very sharp, very useful, and are good quality for the price.

My only complaint is that one of the steak knives is already rusting near the handle after 3 or 4 hand washes? Kind of think they should have extended the stainless steel through the handle, or at least a little further through it :confused:

For the record, “stainless” steels actually mean stain resistant steels. If you leave moisture/ acid on long enough it’ll rust. Alway wipe your knives dry when you are done, no drip drying.

If rust shows up, try scrubbing with a baking soda paste or Barkeeper’s Friend, that should remove it.

But it could also be a bad batch, the metal used could be of sub-par quality. Might want to contact customer service about it.

WoW

That site has some amazing deals!

Thanks for that!!!

Today I had a docs appt and then had transport drop me off to do some grocery shopping but snuck into TJMaxx.

I always spend too much time looking in every nook and cranny of their clearance and after finding some good deals in their mens clothing I went into their kitchen area and found a Wusthof Silverpoint II 4-1/2-Inch Utility Knife for only $6 which seems to be a pretty good and sharp knife for someone who knows nothing about sharp knives…

Then I found a set of ivo cutlery with “2 Piece Asian Set” (# 6199) for $15. from Portugal… Also seems very nice and worth the $15.

Anyone know much about the ivo stuff?

Wish TJMaxx had more Wusthof but they mostly had Chinese made stuff… but am a happy local shopper.

I used a Victorinox 8-Inch chef’s knife for a couple of years and think it is a fine knife and a remarkable value. I only stopped using it because somebody gave me a custom made chef’s knife. If you don’t want to spend a lot it’s a good choice. I would also recommend the Victorinox either 5-inch or 6-inch chef’s knife. They are designed more like utility knives and are great for small chopping jobs. I reach for the six-inch all the time. The blade is not really wide and the handle is very comfortable for a smaller knife.

Did someone say Shun?! Here comes me! Basic rundown, let’s go!

First, these are sharp. Do you like your thumbs? Good, I like 'em too, I think they’re just delightful, and that you should be proud of them. Consequently, use good knife technique. Take a class, or watch some YouTube videos. Make a boatload of vegetable soup if you need practice.

Second, take care of these. If you do, they’ll last you a long, long time. Don’t run 'em through the dishwasher, wash & dry them after use (rather than waiting 'til you’ve eaten supper & doing 'em with the cleanup after). Hone them fairly regularly. Pay to have them sharpened, or send them to Shun’s Oregon facility where they’ll sharpen 'em for free.

Third, handles. These are the Shun Classic line, which means they have asymmetric handles. They’re designed for righties, but if you primarily use a pinch grip, the handedness likely won’t matter.

Fourth, the knives themselves. I have the Santoku, 8" Chef’s, 6" Serrated Utility. They’re all fantastic. The Perfect Paring is interesting if you peel fruits/veggies with a knife, or want to do some detail work.

The 3 piece flat set is particularly worth your time if you want to start a set of Shuns. Toss in a paring knife and you’re golden. Get a non-Shun cleaver & bread knife (for the first, you want a softer steel, for the second, you better cut a LOT of bread for a Shun bread knife to be worth it!)

TLDR: These are great, sharp knives, worth the price. Take care of 'em and they’re like Le Creuset - they’ll last you forever.

Also, those Kyocera ceramic knives are FANTASTIC for people with arthritis. They’re light and easy to handle, and they allowed my grandmother to keep cooking up a storm after her hands got weaker. Definitely worth a look if you have (or someone you love has) arthritic/weak hands.

ooo…that reminds me…
look up “An Edge in the Kitchen” by Chad Ward. His website has videos on holding a knife, basic cutting techniques, steeling, and sharpening.

Great info – thank you! I use the rocking motion, so my preference for the chef’s knife now makes more sense on a logical level. The sontokus I tried in store just didn’t feel right.

LOL! Point. I was just drooling. (I’m a girl; I like pretty things, but in the kitchen function rules. Now if the tool is pretty and functional… You see why my eyes light up.) The wish list I sent to my family has a couple of the Sun 8" Chef’s knives, but not the limited edition that comes at a premium.

I completely disagree with this comment. I started using my set a while ago and couldn’t be happier. It was DEFINITELY a shipping issue as I have referred several friends to this set and they’re all happy with it. It also happens to make a great gift idea for bridal showers and whatnot. Have you tried contacting Core Bamboo to get a refund? They are very helpful…
email them at customerservice@corehome.com.

I have to agree with the above post. I feel that there must be a shipping issue. I have multiple boards and products from Core Bamboo and love them all. I have never had any quality issues.