Mosaic Sonoma White Quartet

Yay for white!!!

I want to hear more about these wines. My bank account hurts after the $143 for the half case i got last week.

I took the easy way out and did a search: http://www.mosaicvineyards.com/mosaic-awards.html

So there goes $95 on wine. I’m going to be broke so quickly if i keep this up.

I think rabage is wanting to buy everyone some wine. :wink:

haha. j/k

awesome deal…if you trust their website. anyone ever get coupons? they have that box when i check out and i’ve never received any coupons…still would love to hear from the vineyard on this.

I could actually use some whites to have on hand when we have company over. My only worry is, the last time there was a quartet this cheap, it was the Parker quartet.

Here’s the Awards page from their site:

http://www.mosaicvineyards.com/mosaic-awards.html

2004 MOSAIC Sauvignon Blanc

* 4 Stars **** (Highly Recommended) - The Press Democrat
* 96 points - Justwinepoints
* 87 points (Best Buy) - 2006 World Wine Championships
* 86 points - Wine Enthusiast
* Silver Medal - Dallas Wine Competition
* Silver Medal - 2006 Sonoma County Harvest Fair
* Silver Medal - 2006 Dallas Wine & Food Festival
* Silver Medal - 2006 San Francisco Chronicle competition
* Bronze Medal - 2006 Orange County Fair

2004 MOSAIC Chardonnay

* 86 points - Wine Enthusiast
* Silver Medal - 2007 San Francisco Chronicle competition
* Silver Medal - 2006 Sonoma County Harvest Fair
* Bronze Medal - 2006 Orange County Fair
* Bronze Medal - 2006 The San Francisco Chronicle competition

What is the “Beverage Testing Institute?” They seem to like the Chardonnay:

90 • Mosaic Vineyards 2004 Chardonnay, Sonoma County $20.
Clean apple and lemon aromas. Tangy apple, tangerine and lemon flavors with a crisp tangy fade. Nicely tart and very food friendly. (tasted on Nov-09-2006)

The also seem to like the Sauvignon Blanc, albeit a little less so:

87 • Mosaic Vineyards 2004 Sauvignon Blanc, Sonoma County $12. Best Buy.
This Sonoma newcomer has produced a fresh, delicious Sauvignon Blanc with tasty melon fruit and an ultra clean finish. Pair this with risotto with shrimp, vegetable lasagna or enjoy it during the warm weather by itself. (tasted on Apr-03-2006).

I suppose my concern is that the reviews are a little dated–the SB review was a year ago. How well will it have held up? How fast will we have to drink it?

Last wooter to woot: Wigdog

At 7.91 a bottle shipped, it’s worth a try. My wife and I actually liked the Critter Quartet.

I have to learn to check whether they ship to New Jersey BEFORE I finally talk myself into wanting one!!

Sittin’ this one out, again. No Indiana on the listo.

Well, I was half right!

“WD said “multi-colored,” so I’m guessing (and hoping) for the Mosaic Red Meritage and the Mosaic Chardonnay.”

This quartet goes for $56 + shipping from their website; this amounts to a “half-off sale.” I’d like to hear from the winery about the drinking window on these wines before I decide to pull the trigger on two or three.

First sucker: lauratchi

Congrats, Rat-ski! I can never stay up that late on Sunday night. It sucks to have to go to work on Mondays so you can afford to give your money to WD every week!

Call it an educated guess but I’m thinking you better drink these this summer. Unless the winemaker convinces me, I won’t go for more than one set. More likely, I’m passing, since I have plenty of whites for immediate consumption.

NO Indiana once again!!!

Ratings from Wine Spectator and Wine Enthusiast (More recent 2006 ratings):

2004 Chardonnay (Sonoma) :
WE - 86
“Here’s a modest, likeable Chard, a bit soft, with pear, apple, peach and cream flavors. It’s extremely well balanced, and has a satisfyingly long finish. Great with roast chicken or grilled fish with a brown butter sauce.” (12/15/2006)

WS - 83
“Aromas of grass, citrus, herb and green fig turn simple on the palate, ending with a dash of melon. Drink now.” 2006

2004 Sauvignon Blanc (Sonoma):
WS - NR

WE - 86
“This is a clean and easy Sauvignon Blanc. It’s crisp in acidity, with bright, focused lemon, lime, tart green apple, fig and spicy white melon flavors. A nice sipper at a fair price.” (12/15/2006)

Sounds quite enjoyable and a good price.
Welcome back to De Lorimer !

I thought the Critter Quartet was OK for the price. The Syrah in particular was better than I expected for < $8. The problem was that I ordered two sets. By the third bottle of Syrah, it had lost the “Gee, this is not bad for under 8 bucks” feeling, and had acquired a “Gee, this is really not that great, I shouldn’t have ordered 4 of these” feeling. I also decided that, while I might drink them as an everyday dinner wine, I wouldn’t serve them to other people, and that’s the main reason I’d be buying whites now.

I’ve learned that the WE ratings are almost always too high, sometimes ridiculously so. So I ignore them, and I ignore the medals recitations from the wineries as well.

I need to calibrate my evaluations of wines with somebody like Parker, but i don’t want to invest any money before I find out if I can. Anybody have any ideas on how to do that?

I’d also like to understand the Mosaic label from De Lorimer. It’s confusing.

For $8 a bottle???

just your gentle nudging of white wines Judy.